Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Honda Civic Cold Start Problem

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2014, 07:36 AM
Default Honda Civic Cold Start Problem

I have a 2000 civic ex and it does not like to start at all when it's cold out. If it does fire in the cold it's after it cranks a couple times but then it just idles down and dies. I usually end up pumping the gas real fast to keep it going and even then it takes a few minutes before it will idle on its own. If the weather is warmer or the car has already ran for a bit it starts just fine. I have replaced everything I could possibly think of; distributor, spark plug and wires, battery, IAVC sensor, MAP sensor, checked the fuses, even changed the head gasket. I'm going to try to change the ignition switch next. I like working on cars but I have a lot of time and money into it and still can't fix the problem... Any thoughts???

Old 01-06-2014, 01:27 PM
Recognized HCF Member

There is a fast idle thermal valve that lets more air into the engine to improve idling for a few minutes after a cold start. If the only problem you're having is that it won't idle, it's either that or the IACV. Make sure the air passages in the intake for the IACV and FITV are clean. You can also try opening the idle air screw (big flat-head screw valve in the throttle body, NOT the throttle plate stop screw), but overdoing that may make it idle too fast after warmed up.

The other thing it could potentially be, but unlikely, is the ECT sensor. If the ECU gets a bad reading of engine temperature and tries to run the engine like it is warmed up while it is cold, it will stall.

After replacing distributor, be sure to set spark timing-- using a timing light with the ECU test jumper installed.

I assume there are no CEL codes.