Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

How a A/C Thermal Protector Works - Honda Civic 01 LX

Old 07-22-2014, 05:34 AM
Post How a A/C Thermal Protector Works - Honda Civic 01 LX

So this past week I figured out that my A/C compressor clutch wouldn't engage because my thermal protector went bad. I went through all the troubleshooting steps and finally figured out how to pull the thermal protector out. I got it out and I could shake it and i can hear a little broken part in it. I cut it off and just replaced it with a wire connector, connecting the 2 wires that went into the thermal protector. Basically my compressor just doesn't have a thermal protector now and the 12v is now provided to the coil to engage the clutch. My understanding is that when the compressor gets above 240ish degrees, the thermal protector is supposed to open, keeping the A/C compressor from receiving the 12v and possibly overheating. Adding the wire connecter, fixed the problem and my A/C works great. I want to fix it and get a new thermal protector so my AC doesn't blow up, but I want to know a little bit more about how the thermal protector works and what caused mine to break. Was it something that heated it up and broke it? Are the thermal protectors supposed to open and then close back?? does it open and then never close back?? What could have caused it to break?? i can replace it for $55.30 myself, but I'm wondering if its just going to break again. Any help greatly appreciated. Thanks

Old 09-05-2019, 06:01 PM

Hey! You can buy it and install it so you don’t need feels worried