Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Wired my projectors w/ Relays, now they're buzzing

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2007, 09:42 PM
HCF Member
Default Wired my projectors w/ Relays, now they're buzzing

I got the wiring idea off of AMG's diagram (below) to do this so that my halogen hi beams would also have the HID low beams on when they're on. The diagram was shown for an older Civic, and the impression I have is that it was a setup where the negative always went to both lights (hi/low) and other two wires are positives going to each bulb. From testing with a multimeter and looking at my Haynes manual, I came to the conclusion that mine was actually a single positive, with a negative for each light (Can anyone verify this??)

Once I came to this conclusion, I rewrote the diagram to fit this, and it seemed to work very well. For a day I had no problems, and then today the relay on one side started buzzing when I turned off the lights. A flash of the high beams and it went away. Thinking it was a bad relay, I switched them, and now they're both buzzing. I'm guessing that the right one is causing the relays to go bad??

Any info would be awesome! I'm very new to relays, so I don't have any good amount of understanding on them. Here are the diagrams I used to wire them. I quadruple checked them, so I'm pretty sure they're wired according to the second picture, it's just a matter of if the diagram is correct.

Original picture (not the one I used)

Here's the one I used:

Old 03-22-2007, 09:16 AM
HCF Member
Default RE: Wired my projectors w/ Relays, now they're buzzing

Any body? Im really stuck here.

Old 06-23-2007, 02:48 PM
Default RE: Wired my projectors w/ Relays, now they're buzzing

relays are easy to use .if your's are turning the lights righ. but they're like activating and deactivating. try to put a diode. you can find one in your local radio shack. ask for a 2 amp rectifier diode. now what you need to do is put one diode on each relay lets say you have 86 on 12v and 85 on ground. ok the diode has two sides one of them has a white stripe . that will be the negative side of the diode.ok put the negative side to the positive 86 terminal of your relay,and the positive side od the diode to 85 negative side of the relay. that should do it. and prevent that the pulse to the relay be reversed qhen you change the pulse to the high -low beams.that would work JUST if your relays are working fine . if not please re-check your connections.if not worksi'll try to make a diagram and post it .