Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Violent car shaking, and no it's not the tires! It's a mystery...

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2007, 03:22 PM
Default Violent car shaking, and no it's not the tires! It's a mystery...

Ok, so this has been happening for awhile now. Basically once I approach 60 MPH and above the car starts shaking really badly. I just got brand new tires and wheels and they were balanced correctly. It only does this when I'm changing the speed of the car, so if I'm coasting at any speed it won't do it. It does it more on the throttle than when I step on the brakes, but for all I know the thing could have a warped brake rotor too when it comes to the braking part. Anyways, the axles don't click when turned lock to lock and the car doesn't do this under 45 no matter how hard I'm driving it.... Sooo any thoughts? Wheel bearing (I'm just running out of ideas I don't think a wheel bearing would cause this would it?)

Old 05-11-2007, 04:01 PM
Recognized HCF Member
Default RE: Violent car shaking, and no it's not the tires! It's a mystery...

hum.... sounds preaty odd..
now just a guess... but have ya checked your motor/tranny mounts? just an idea that maybe ones bad which lets the engine/trany shift outta alignment..
again just a GUESS........

Old 05-12-2007, 09:12 AM
HCF Member

don't rule out the fact that even tho they were balanced correctly, you STILL Could have lost a wheel wieght...it happens! maybe check suspension mounts/bushings. I don't think its a wheel bearing, that wouldn't make your car shake, but it does make a steadily increasing WHINE sound ...I just did one last summer

Old 05-12-2007, 09:25 PM
Recognized HCF Member

i would check the suspension components and make sure your alignment is not out of wack. Check your motor mounts and also check to see if there are still wheel weights on your wheels or possibly have them rebalance them.

Old 05-13-2007, 10:19 AM

Hmm thanks guys! I'll check the motor mounts, I looked at the wheels and the weights are all still in place... but this thing is shaking really bad, more than a wheel weight... I'm going to check the motor mounts because come to think of it it kind of makes a clunking noise whenever I shift in a non-smooth manner... That would make sense. I'll let you guys know! Thank you again!

Old 05-13-2007, 02:51 PM

someone (maybe you) was asking about that same thing on Cartalk. The advice was to check out the suspension for worn out bushings and joints. They also said stop driving the car; at least on the highways.

Old 05-13-2007, 04:32 PM

you could have a bent or damaged CV Shaft that could be off balance, causing a vibration.

Old 05-13-2007, 04:45 PM

Oh man... well that wasn't me asking that on car-talk, I don't think I've ever been to that site, but that doesn't sound good! I kinda looked at the car, but it's really hard to make any observations unless the thing is on the rack. My friend's integra was oddly doing the same thing, except his isn't as bad (his does it starting around 75MPH) and we took it to the shop and they couldn't figure it out... Maybe I'm going to just have to start taking stuff apart until I find something out of line.

One of my initial guesses was that it could possibly be a tie rod bushing but those seem to be ok. But I'm definately going to get back with results or questions as I continue my investigation! Thanks for your helpful input everyone, it's greatly appreciated

Old 05-13-2007, 05:12 PM

If its an automatic transmission it could be the torque converter too,it might just be minor enough to where you only feel it at high rpm's when the ratio is closer to 1

Old 05-17-2007, 09:22 PM

So I did a little bit of investigating yesterday, and although I'm not certain, I think it might be an axle... But not the CV joint where it connects to the wheel perhaps explaining why it wouldn't do anything when turning sharp like they usually do. I jacked the car up and put it in first gear. I looked at the axles as I spun the wheel back and forth and the inner CV joint has some serious play in it before the outdrive on the transmission even moves! and That's under hardly any load at all, just the load of the other wheel, axle, and differential... Also, the joint looks like a dislocated knee when this happens because it physically moves outward... I think it could cause some shaking... I'll have it checked out further but this could be something? Thanks! Oh and it's a manual transaxle, good thought though!

Quick Reply: Violent car shaking, and no it's not the tires! It's a mystery...