Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

2004 Civic Ex headgasket

Old 07-14-2009, 11:14 AM
Default 2004 Civic Ex headgasket

Hello all:

I am new to the board and need some advice. I own a 2004 Civic Ex with only 60,000 miles. The dealer is now telling me the car needs a head gasket.

Background -The car started running hot three weeks ago. Didn't overheat, just running hot. Turned motor off, let cool. The funny part was there was anti-freeze in car and the engine wasn't burning it. Took it into the Honda dealer two weeks ago and they fixed the fan switch, thermostat and put new coolant in. I assumed everything was Ok as the car ran fine for a week. Yesterday, the car was running hot and check engine light kicked on for the first time. Also, the motor was running rough. Checked coolant and it was low for the first time. Added anti-freeze and took it dealer two miles up the road. They claim the Hydrocarbon test is high and that the head gasket is shot.

The dealer now wants $1500 to redo gasket after $200 for the fan switch etc.THE CAR HAS ONLY 60,000 miles! The dealer contacted thr area district manager and said the car is 5 years old and cant cover repair. Contacted American Honda and they too said can't do. I asked to speak to higher person in charge. They will be calling me back tomorrow.

Any ideas on how to win this dispute?

I guess Honda's quality is not what it used to be. I have had better luck with my newer GM cars than my two new hondas. Never again......

Thank you,
Ryan

Old 07-14-2009, 11:24 AM
Recognized HCF Member

"Running hot" is overheating. As you now know, the gauge doesn't have to go all the way up to H for the engine to be damaged.

A third party mechanic could do as good a job and charge considerably less. But it is a tough call, the engine may be warped or cracked and a head gasket replacement would just be a waste of money. You might look into buying a used engine locally from someone who offers a guarantee.

Old 07-14-2009, 11:59 AM

Thanks for reply.

Yes, I know that running it hot can damage the motor. The temp guage went about middle zone little more than normal but didn't come close to H. Pulled over immediately. Let it cool. In stop and go traffic then. Noticed fan didnt kick on. Then checked the anti-freeze. The anti-freeze was fine. Figured there was a problem with fan. Car ran good after fan switch replacement for one week. Now it is bucking and eating antifreeze.