Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

how to fix a slipping transmission or is it toasted period? 1997 civic lx sedan

Old 08-10-2009, 02:53 PM
HCF Member
Talking how to fix a slipping transmission or is it toasted period? 1997 civic lx sedan

how long can i get out of it? the automatic transmission is slipping in 1st gear and won;t move unless put into 2nd. its shifting fine when cold. as it warms up, she begains to slip in first gear and kindof creaps foward. it shifts through the gears but it slips into the others. i can shift to D 4 and it will work fine shifting throughout the range of gears but it slipps alittle too. sometimes it won;t shift to o/d, and i have to stop the car to restart the process. also i have a imput speed sensor circute code being thrown. can that cause it to slip like it is? i drained the fluid allready. it was burned and had clutch mat on the magnet w. metal shavings.

Old 08-10-2009, 03:39 PM
Chubby Chaser

time for a new trans.....

Old 08-10-2009, 03:47 PM
Super Cereal Admin

Honestly, it'll be cheaper to find a used transmission being privately sold than it would be to rebuild your transmission. Obviously if you drained the oil and found clutch residue, at least one of the clutch packs is burnt. I don't think a faulty VSS would cause it to slip outright; if the VSS told the transmission the car was accelerating slower than it actually was, the transmission would allow the clutch to slip rather than to forcefully apply like it should at heavy acceleration. Over time I'd imagine it could fry the clutches, but I'm not convinced it's the case this time.

I'm thinking either your car has a sh*t-ton of miles and one or more of the previous owners ran the car hard or there's a problem with the one of the hydraulic circuits not forcing the clutch packs to apply as hard as they should, which would burn them just like riding the clutch in a manual.

Of course, my ADD is kind of in full effect right now, so I could be missing something incredibly obvious.

Hopefully Ron chimes in soon; I'm sure he's better with transmissions than I am... planetary gearboxes were never my strong suit.

Old 08-10-2009, 04:16 PM
HCF Member
Default 97 civic lx background

this was highway driven. it has 151k on it. the engine runs flawlessly. as far as i know, it was taken care of. o received it as a gift from the church i go to. are all the auto trannys like this? did honda have a defect when they built this car? do the trannys ofton hold up am i just unlucky here?

Old 08-10-2009, 04:33 PM
Super Cereal Admin

I've honestly never heard of a big problem with Honda's automatic transmissions. I'm just trying to think of reasons for a transmission to slip. I'm thinking it's most likely something in the valve body or channel plate, but I really can't confirm it without having the transmission to disassemble.

But like I said, it'll be a lot cheaper to just swap in a used transmission. You should be able to find a used auto transmission in decent condition for $150-$200 if that on Craigslist or eBay. A lot of the transmissions are on the market either because the car got parted out at a salvage yard or because the owner swapped to a 5-speed. Any auto transmission from a 92-00 will be a direct replacement.

Old 08-10-2009, 05:00 PM
Recognized HCF Member

I think the sensor code occurs because the ECU detects the speeds are wrong, after the transmission slips. Some residue (including metal) will be found in the bottom of any used transmission, it's not conclusive either way. Certain chain stores use that to scare people into unnecessary work.

You should check your shift cable adjustment-- but that's kind of a long shot, really sounds like the transmission is worn out. You could also consider swapping to manual, if you'd like to drive manual.

Old 08-10-2009, 05:33 PM
Chubby Chaser

i can vouch for bad honda auto trans.... i've had a few my self and the last one i had i pulled out and put a manual in... the problem with a/t is that it needs its fluids and filter changed just like your oil... the filter is internal and the trans has to be dropped and split apart to replace. and also NEVER PUT THAT LUCAS OR ANY OTHER TRANSMISSION STOP SLIP OR STOP LEAK it clogs the filters and destroy's a/t in a honda..

Old 08-10-2009, 06:00 PM
HCF Member
Default transmission compatablity

Originally Posted by reaper2022
I've honestly never heard of a big problem with Honda's automatic transmissions. I'm just trying to think of reasons for a transmission to slip. I'm thinking it's most likely something in the valve body or channel plate, but I really can't confirm it without having the transmission to disassemble.

But like I said, it'll be a lot cheaper to just swap in a used transmission. You should be able to find a used auto transmission in decent condition for $150-$200 if that on Craigslist or eBay. A lot of the transmissions are on the market either because the car got parted out at a salvage yard or because the owner swapped to a 5-speed. Any auto transmission from a 92-00 will be a direct replacement.
i don't beleive a 92-95 would work, because its a obd 1 computer system. 96-2000 would work probaly obd 2. wat year do you think i should pick from? what year was the most reliable? if the owner swapps, probaly he had problems w/ the auto mabey?

Old 08-10-2009, 06:02 PM
HCF Member
Default lucus

Originally Posted by 94civichatchback
i can vouch for bad honda auto trans.... i've had a few my self and the last one i had i pulled out and put a manual in... the problem with a/t is that it needs its fluids and filter changed just like your oil... the filter is internal and the trans has to be dropped and split apart to replace. and also NEVER PUT THAT LUCAS OR ANY OTHER TRANSMISSION STOP SLIP OR STOP LEAK it clogs the filters and destroy's a/t in a honda..
i added some of that stuff thinking it would help. how hard is it to swap to a manual, you need to change the whole engine i bet. can i use the current one? + the distribitor would need to be changed? thats what i was told. is their precut holes for the clutch and shifter to go or do you need to cut the metal to put it in? in adition, i hear the computer ecu has to be modified or changed and reverse lights need to be wired to the reverse sector when shifted to R

Last edited by xpdude; 08-10-2009 at 06:06 PM.
Old 08-10-2009, 06:06 PM
Recognized HCF Member

There's a lot about auto to manual conversion searching this site. You need not change the whole engine. Only you do need to change the ECU and the flywheel. All the holes are already there to mount the clutch pedal, etc.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: how to fix a slipping transmission or is it toasted period? 1997 civic lx sedan