Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

2002 civic auto tranny failing.. just bought it!

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2010, 10:30 PM
Default 2002 civic auto tranny failing.. just bought it!

Alright so i've driven 100 miles on this 2002 honda civic ex with 102,000 miles. I test drove it and checked it out and it ran awesome. Well only about 5 days later and 100 miles later.. the tranny slipped on me when i came to a stop sign and took off. Then it happened again except I didn't hit the gas before it hit the gear. Then I also noticed it had a little high pitch as i drove the rest of the way back to my house.

alright.. so i did a little more research and found out that the 01-02 automatic civic trannys suck! so what the hell do i do now!?!?! i have a 100 miles on a damn car i just bought from a big honda/acura dealer here and the tranny is already going to hell! I have 170 miles on the car. I know after reading all the problems they got that i am on thin ice. now what does anyone recommend i do now? should i go back to the dealer and complain like a mad man? call honda america? maybe even get an extende d warranty online and try to shoot for the thousand miles it requires?

i seriously want to punch someone in the face!

fyi, the car ran fine the rest of the couple miles back home. it was all city driving. that was the 1st time i heard the somewhat high pitch coming from the car. its shifted fine since tonight. it slipped only after 2 miles from my house to pickup a friend from work. it shifts pretty smooth when i was previously on the highway.

Sorry for the long post, just upset and would like some advice.. im so pissed.. the car was sold as is.

Old 02-08-2010, 10:53 PM
Sir Banned-a-lot

ur post isnt anoyingly long, infact, its quite detailed which is what is needed to help you out.. heres what i would do if i was in the situation

1. post it on here
2. call the management from where you bought it at and remind him of lemon laws.. im not entirely sure if a 2002 will qualify for it tho so do some reasurch on that, but defiatly harass him because he is in the position to help you, you just have to make him think it is in his best interest to help you. threaten to write bad reviews, contact the better business beauro, and slander the hell out of them. thats just what i would do. management wants it to appear to be a family oriented goody goody shop, so a bad name would ruin that, and they dont want that..

BTW, is your car under warrenty as it is? when purchased, was it purchased "as is", did he give you any information about the car?

Old 02-09-2010, 01:41 PM

there is no warranty from what what i understand when i bought the car. I was thinking it's no big deal.. it's a honda civic and it runs great. I did my research online about the civics. To bad I didn't investigate their automatic transmissions. I purchased an extended warranty through direct warranty today. If that doesn't work out i can cancel it in 30 days with full refund.. or cancel anytime after that and they pro rate it. So as long as the tranny holds for 1,000 miles more im good and can rely on my 5 year/100,000 mile $1500 dollar super warranty to cover 2300 dollars of it. sounds reasonable to me.

Right now its the shop i bought it at, it should be an interesting conversation when they call me and let me know whats up. This was my 1st time purchasing a car.. i guess everyone learns the hard way.. so its said. i did.