Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Hurricane sandy flooded my car, i need advice! Please help!

Old 10-31-2012, 07:23 PM
Default Hurricane sandy flooded my car, i need advice! Please help!

Hello all i am from brooklyn ny.
(2002 civic ex)
As you know we got hit wih hurricane sandy. My car was flooded about aup to the bottom tip of steering wheel. Estimated, water was in the car and of course engine ( about near the top of the headers) for about 12 hours.
Next day I attempeted to started, battery was half dead so with jumper cable it started right up!
But it stalled once in a while when you push the gas lightly and it stoped. But 2nd day after the hurricane was over, I had to use jumper and started it and ran it for about 1 hour. Car sounds like normal but once every 15 minuntes it goes puffff, I am gueesing near the bottom of the engine, not sure!, smells like antifreeze. and it stop, i have that in the video. also the transmission oil is so PINK, i gues water got in. I havent moved the car from where it is yet but I put it on D and R to see if it moves like about a feet, and it does. I removed seets and under carpets completly and cleaned inside well.
What should I do guys to get this car back on the road?

I am posting my very own youtube video link below. Please any advice is appritiated.

Old 10-31-2012, 07:27 PM

Replace all fluids would be the first thing I would have done.

Old 11-01-2012, 04:36 AM

^+9001

Drain and refill the transmission. You may need to flush it to get all the water out. Drain and replace oil, same with coolant/brake fluid/power steering fluid. Replace engine air filter and cabin air filter.

I would really worry about electronics. The battery was hooked up and there was obviously a short if the battery was nearly dead.

There may have been water in the cylinders. If you got it started, the water is probably in the crankcase or out of the cylinders by now.

I can't imagine the interior cleanup. You'll have to strip the car to make sure everything dries so it doesn't grow stuff.

That flashing check engine light indicates a misfire. You may have to replace the coil packs and other ignition components. The video seems to indicate that the radiator blew...

Old 11-01-2012, 05:41 AM
Recognized HCF Member

Like the others said, the oil and transmission are contaminated, likely to have caused damage running that way. Disconnect the battery and leave disconnected until everything is dry. If it was in sea water, rinse everything with fresh water especially electrical parts. Remove major electrical parts and bring them indoors, remove covers and rinse out with fresh water and allow to dry thoroughly.

Next time, comprehensive insurance.

Last edited by mk378; 11-01-2012 at 06:01 AM.
Old 11-01-2012, 05:53 AM

Be careful if you are shopping for a new car. A lot of flood cars will start popping up on craigslist sooner or later.

Old 11-01-2012, 06:03 AM
Recognized HCF Member

Yeah I wouldn't buy any car in the NY area unless it was a brand new one from a dealer that didn't flood.