Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

I cant fix my pan gasket = leaking again

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2010, 04:53 AM
HCF Member
Default I cant fix my pan gasket = leaking again

I've replaced the oil pan gasket three times in last couple months because I keep getting leaks. I have followed the advice on this forum, downloaded manuals, etc.... I have tried three different types of gasket sealant, bought three different types of gaskets (even a honda). What can I possibly be doing wrong?

Old 12-02-2010, 05:02 AM
Recognized HCF Member

Are you sure it is the pan gasket leaking? Oil near the ends of the engine could be the crankshaft seals. Oil could also have run down from somewhere else (distributor, VTEC solenoid, valve cover, oil filter, pressure switch, etc.)

The other big issue is that steel oil pans can get bent from the bolts having been overtightened, then they will never make a good seal to the block. The top surface must be flat, not dented upward around the bolt holes. Follow torque specifications exactly, the bolts don't have to be very tight because there are so many of them.

Last edited by mk378; 12-02-2010 at 05:07 AM.
Old 12-02-2010, 05:54 AM

I'm going to make a guess that it's a crank seal. It'll look like it's coming from the pan since the oil from it will drip down and around the pan.

Old 12-02-2010, 06:18 AM
HCF Member

Doing the same job three times in that short of time indicates to me the leak is from elsewhere, unless your pan's mating surface is buggered up that bad. If it is , I would guess that you should have seen it when you are working on it. You had three chances,,,,.

Degrease your engine the best you can and dry it. Run the engine till it reach operating temp. Shut it down and have good visual inspection for leaks.

Good luck,,,,,

Old 12-02-2010, 07:44 AM
HCF Member

Originally Posted by civicexracer
I'm going to make a guess that it's a crank seal. It'll look like it's coming from the pan since the oil from it will drip down and around the pan.
Is this the same as the rear main?

Old 12-02-2010, 08:05 AM

Originally Posted by beagler
Is this the same as the rear main?
Depends on where the oil is leaking from. From the transmission side or from the timing belt side? If it's leaking around the trans area, then yes rear main seal. If it's leaking from around the timing belt side, that would be the front main seal or also known as crank seal. I believe Honda dealers refer to it as a front main seal.

To replace the rear main seal you have to take the trans off and also the clutch/flywheel assembly. To do the front main seal you have to take the drive belts, timing belt and crank pulley to get to it. Either way it's kind of a time consuming job.

Old 12-02-2010, 08:08 AM
HCF Member

Originally Posted by civicexracer
Depends on where the oil is leaking from. From the transmission side or from the timing belt side? If it's leaking around the trans area, then yes rear main seal. If it's leaking from around the timing belt side, that would be the front main seal or also known as crank seal. I believe Honda dealers refer to it as a front main seal.

To replace the rear main seal you have to take the trans off and also the clutch/flywheel assembly. To do the front main seal you have to take the drive belts, timing belt and crank pulley to get to it. Either way it's kind of a time consuming job.
It would be my rear main then. I noticed when I took off the flywheel cover that there was no oil visible there. Does this sound like a leak from the rear main?

Old 12-02-2010, 08:21 AM
Chubby Chaser

tip: take care to carwash and clean motor, then drive and then inspect you will find the oil leak.

did you scrape and clean off the old gasket before installing new one?

Old 12-02-2010, 08:25 AM
HCF Member

Originally Posted by 94civichatchback
tip: take care to carwash and clean motor, then drive and then inspect you will find the oil leak.

did you scrape and clean off the old gasket before installing new one?
I did scrape off the old gunk.

Old 12-02-2010, 08:40 AM

Yeah I would get some brake cleaner or some strong degreaser and clean the area very well and then try to find the leak. Like others have said, it could be from a leak on the top of the motor. On that side of the motor it could also be coming from a bad distributor seal or something like that and trickle down around the pan.

Last edited by civicexracer; 12-02-2010 at 08:42 AM.

Quick Reply: I cant fix my pan gasket = leaking again