Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Iacv problem

Old 02-05-2013, 09:31 PM
Angry Iacv problem

Bear with me, I'm writing this post on my iPhone.

Ok so I'm new to this forum, as well as hondas. I bought a 2000 honda civic ex 1.6l vtec a few days ago, and I ran into a few problems, minor electrical and whatnot. My heater wAsnt working so upon realizing that the switch to open te valve for hot air was disconnected, I cotacted the dealer to see if there was any work done under the hood. He mentioned tranny work, so I assume a lot of stuff got unhooked, which leads me to my question;

It idles poorly, almost stalls; so I unplugged the cruise control module vacuum line to the engine, and the allowance of the extra air brought the idol up to around 1k. Obviously the current setup isn't getting enough air ( with the cruise hooked up). So, after doing some research I learned about the iacv and how it works. I went to check it out only to find out that there's a 2 prong female receiver for a plug, but I can't find the damn plug anywhere? It defeats the purpose of having the iacv if its not getting the signal... So where is this plug located? What does the other end attach to? Is it possible that someone mistakingly plugged it in somewhere wrong? Is there another 2 prong reciever that could have caused a mistake in reassembly?

And could the iacv unhooked be an explanation for odd shifting with the automatic transmission?

Thanks, nick

Old 02-06-2013, 04:48 AM
Recognized HCF Member

Automatic EX has a 3-wire IACV. Manual EX has a two-wire IACV. It sounds like someone has put a manual manifold on your automatic. There should be a 3 wire plug that doesn't go anywhere.

Old 02-06-2013, 05:41 AM

Originally Posted by mk378
Automatic EX has a 3-wire IACV. Manual EX has a two-wire IACV. It sounds like someone has put a manual manifold on your automatic. There should be a 3 wire plug that doesn't go anywhere.
Thanks for your quick reply.

I'm gonna check again to verify its a 2 prong, maybe I'm mistaken. What do you mean that the plug doesn't go anywhere? It's got to be attached to something!

Old 02-06-2013, 05:45 AM
Recognized HCF Member

The harness plug for the IACV on an automatic should have 3 wires. It will not fit a manual IACV, which has two pins.

Old 02-06-2013, 05:54 AM

The harness plug for the IACV on an automatic should have 3 wires. It will not fit a manual IACV, which has two pins.
What I mean is, hypothetically, if it did have all the correct hardware, what would the other end of that plug be hooked up to?

(merged)

So I want and checked it out again. The black cylinder of the iacv has a 2 prong reciever...
But what is the piece of hardware just below the tps? It's a cream colored plastic part with a 3 prong plug hooked up?!

(merged)

Sorry to blow up the thread, but Im reading elsewhere that it is in fact a 2 wire harness

Last edited by cvcrcr99; 02-06-2013 at 06:29 AM.
Old 02-07-2013, 11:06 AM

UPDATE:
Upon further research, I found out that my car has an iacv for an automatic transmission, as well As one for a manual transmission, hence why I couldn't find the plug, I was looking at the wrong iacv! So it IS there and it IS connected.

So back to my question, why is my car Idoling poorly, and why is it sometimes waiting til 3.5-4.5k rpms to shift? Hellllppppp!

Old 02-07-2013, 12:08 PM

You have two IACVS?! One must not be hooked up then and you can just take it out of your engine bay. I think you need to post a picture of this secondary IACV

Old 02-07-2013, 02:08 PM
Recognized HCF Member

Not sure how that would work since the throttle body is made for one or the other. It would be using the 3 wire one on the bottom. Are the passages made so air can reach it? Remove and clean the 3 wire valve in any case.

You can leave the 2 wire one in place and disconnected. With no electricity it will just stay closed.

Old 02-08-2013, 05:56 AM

Originally Posted by cvcrcr99
You have two IACVS?! One must not be hooked up then and you can just take it out of your engine bay. I think you need to post a picture of this secondary IACV
Ill get a pic as soon as it stops raining

Old 02-08-2013, 06:01 AM

Not sure how that would work since the throttle body is made for one or the other. It would be using the 3 wire one on the bottom. Are the passages made so air can reach it? Remove and clean the 3 wire valve in any case.

You can leave the 2 wire one in place and disconnected. With no electricity it will just stay closed.
I've been meaNing to take off the intake manifold, TB, and iacv valves and clean all of it, then replacing and resetting my idol screw. I would've done it already but I work from sun up to down down every day and I have no garage..

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Iacv problem