Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Idle hunting issues?

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2012, 09:13 AM
HCF Member
Default Idle hunting issues?

Ok so i got a 1995 Honda civic ex, from the time I bought it the idle has hunted from 1,000 rpms up to 1,500 rpms, then drops and continues doing this. I tried looking online on this forum and Honda-tech and have found the iacv could be the problem. So to do a little test I turned off the car and unplugged the electrical connection. The car now idled fine but the CEL came on. So I turned the car off and plugged it back in, now my idle hunting was back, the other suggestion was my MAP sensor, turned the car off, unplugged, turned on and it’s also fixed. But again I get a CEL on. So reading more a few people said remove the IACV and clean. So I took it off cleaned it. Refilled coolant started the car. Idle went steady and no CEL. I was pleased. After driving around maybe 10 miles my hunting was back, every once in a while it sat steady but 7/10 stops it hunted. Also if it was steady it would sometimes be at 1000, but sometimes it said 500 or so, which is way too low. I have not read anything about stuff like this so I posted, I guess I feel these are my options.

1.) Re-clean the IACV because maybe I didn’t do it good enough (I used a few fills of carb cleaner)

2.) MAP sensor bad?

3.) New IACV for 167.99 worth it?

Additional info: car has aftermarket intake from previous owner? does this affect?

Thanks guys!