Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Idle Surge

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2008, 09:21 PM
HCF Member
Default Idle Surge

So when its cold, my engine revs really high... as it warms up the rpms drop, but sometimes it will surge.... other times it will be fine, though it usually runs about 1000 at idle, maybe a little under... i'm thinking it might be the temperature sensor that goes to the ECU?

there are two right? one that goes to the cluster/fan, and one to the ecu? or something of that nature, i dont actually have a wiring diagram so i dont know, but i would like to get something to fix this problem... any input?

Old 03-30-2008, 09:38 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: Idle Surge

Did you gap the spark plugs yourself, are you sure you have the right kind in? That can play a role in the bouncy idle. Did you clean the IACV? I did that to my car today and it made a big difference. The screen was tottaly black couldn't even see it. There is a DIY on here which I used except I didn't remove the hose lines. You can clean it without removeing them.

Old 03-31-2008, 02:02 AM
Default RE: Idle Surge

i have that same problem 2 things to do ..... take off the intake hose that goes to ur throttle body and there will be 2 holes on the left side the top one goes to the IAC and the bottom one goes to the FIV i found out that mine needs a new FIV how to check this is plug the bottom hole when the engine is warmed up if ur getting alot of suction when its worm u need to eather clean it out or get a new one thats what i would check first..... then second clean the IAC and if it still does that then theres something else going on i hope i helped you out on this