Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Ignition Coils?!?!

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2013, 05:17 PM
Default Ignition Coils?!?!

I am trying to understand and figure out what the heck is going on with my car. I have a CEL that keeps giving a cylinder 1, 3 and multiple random. Also, just earlier today i had a problem with the car starting (I mean i generally do, but today it just didn't want to connect). It turned over and it took about 2-3 seconds to catch than it did (not happened before). Makes me begin to believe that the ignition coil is bad.

Reasons to believe that: Plugs and wires have been replaced and distributor cap and rotor are fine.

While I was sitting in my car letting it warm up it was idling normal, about 1k. Then out of no-where it just reved down steady and quickly til it turned off. Almost like it kinda stalled itself out.

At the same time the CEL (seldomly) will not come on. And to not forget, the dim battery light that is on, almost all time (only on, when CEL is on).

IDK what is going on, i'm low enlisted in the military and don't get paid enough to replace **** that don't need it.

I'll update it with pictures and more info soon.

Old 02-10-2013, 11:13 AM
Recognized HCF Member

You should measure the 12 volt system voltage (at the battery, and at the distributor) while the problem is occurring. The ignition is of course powered from the electrical system, and if the whole car's voltage goes down, misfiring will occur.

Also the battery light is controlled from the alternator. It is supposed to come on when the alternator detects a problem with itself that is likely to make it unable to charge the battery.

Lights glowing dimly, etc. suggest a bad ground. Check the grounds first. With the engine running (if possible) and the problem occurring, measure the voltage from the car frame and the engine block to the battery (-) post. It should be a very small voltage in both cases if the grounds are good.

Last edited by mk378; 02-10-2013 at 11:20 AM.