Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Ignition key jam

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2012, 07:12 PM
HCF Member
Default Ignition key jam

Hey all, back again...

For awhile now my ignition key has been sticking in the ignition and not going into the lock position so I can remove it once I've shut the engine down, only lately the problem has gotten progressively worse...Just today I noticed that when I put it into park if I wiggle the shifter I hear the ignition lock clicking to unlock the key, so my question is this:

On this page Honda Automotive Parts

Is it the item #2 'cylinder parking lock key' that is going out and causing the problem? (if it is I can be happy, cause its surprisingly inexpensive...)

Oh, and 1 other thing:

I had the front wiper linkage replaced a couple months ago, but didn't have a week to wait for shifting to have the whole linkage/wiper transmission assembly shipped (linkage went out just as the rainy season started and I had to get it fixed for work..) and now it seems that the driver side wiper transmission bearing is going bad as the arm is wiggly and its making the fairly new blade squeak from not applying enough pressure(so napa guy said..) On that honda site it doesn't seem to have that part, anyone know another place where I might be able to find one?

Thanks once again for the help!

Old 12-24-2012, 12:25 PM
Recognized HCF Member

A switch on the shift lever controls the lock interlock solenoid depending on whether or not the the lever is at Park. Make sure the solenoid clicks when you go in and out of park. If it does not it could be the switch or other electrical problem.

Old 12-25-2012, 11:52 AM
HCF Member

Yeah sometimes it clicks and lets me take the key out, other times (more often than not lately) it doesn't click and I have fiddle with the steering wheel, shifter, or smack the steering wheel a whole bunch......