Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

ignition switch or not? tech support needed

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2005, 09:50 PM
Default ignition switch or not? tech support needed

I'm working on a 94 Civic DX 1.5L manual 5 speed that wont start. Starter tested good at Auto Zone. I can get the started to turn by applying direct power from the battery to the "S" terminal on starter/solnoid. And start the car if the key is in the run position that way. Figured I was bypassing the ignition switch,so I got another one from a 95 civic DX parts car. New they are 229.95 I guess because of the wiring harness is soldered on, can't see why they are so much.
With the new ignition switch all pluged in, I still have the same problem.
Is there anything else inbetween the Ignition switch and the starter? Fuse? Relay?
If not can I just run a toggle switch under the dash?
I can't see both ignition switches being bad but I guess anything is possible, what else can I check?
Thanks in advance!

Old 06-03-2005, 10:06 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: ignition switch or not? tech support needed

nuetral saftey switch may be bad. the switch is located under the dash in front of your clutch pedal. its the only sensor on your clutch pedal.

Old 06-03-2005, 10:51 PM

When I did get the ignition switch in, and tried to start the car, the clutch did seem to go in easier than it should, but the neutral switch doesn't have much resistance does it?
If the NSswitch is bad will the car still start? Because I can start it if I put the key on run and put power to the starter...

Thanks for the idea. I will look at it in the morning...

I think I will check the tip on the ignition lock cylinder and make sure it is even turning all the way like it should.
Anyone know which colored wire out of the ignition switch provides power to the starter?

Any suggestions willbe helpful...

Old 06-04-2005, 07:05 PM
HCF Member

NSS allows you to turn your engine over only with the clutch pedal depressed, basically a safety feature. this item can be bypassed although not recommended. as you stated before you are able to turn over the engine and start the car by jumping ths starter solenoid off. the NSS is basically an on/off switch thats all.

Old 06-06-2005, 03:11 PM

Thanks for the help, turns out the neutral saftey switch was working, if I pressed the button with my pinkey and had someone else crank it over it started. I finally got an angle I could see in and there was a hole going right over the button. A hole the was supposed to be plugged in with some wax like stopper. Nobody sells these of course so I hunted around the auto store and finally bought one of those plastic rivit pieces to hold interior door panaling on. So I stuck a socket on the clutch pedal stopper to hold it in a visable position, manuvered it up in there on a needle nose, and pushed it through from the back side forward torards the front of the car, so it gave the NSS button something to press against. Then I only had to adjust the NSS to make up for the clearance difference. Starts up every time now.
Thanks for pointing me in the right direction. :-)