Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Power Window problems

Old 06-26-2012, 04:32 AM
HCF Member
Unhappy Power Window problems

Been a while since I've been on here but I'm at my wits end with my passenger window and I'm hoping someone has the magic answer. I have a 2001 coupe. The passenger window will roll up from the passenger switch but not down. From the master switch, the passenger window doesn't move up or down (driver window works fine). No fuses are blown. Before I knew the window would move up I replaced the motor/regulator so that's not bad. Next I replaced the master switch. Nothin. No change. No fuses blown. At this point I'm not sure what to do. Might try to find a relay to swap in to see if it's that. I'm almost ready to take it to a shop and pay up the wazoo for electrical repairs so any help would be wondeful.

Old 06-26-2012, 10:04 AM
HCF Member

try swapping in a relay if there is one. and check the wiring at the switch and the continuity of the wire to its respective place, just use an ohm meter or multimeter and touch both ends. wiring tends to break in the door hinge area since that bends a lot and a lot of wires go through it so check those wires on the driver and passenger door.

Old 06-26-2012, 11:57 AM
Recognized HCF Member

Like the other guy said, broken wires to the driver's door are a common problem. I don't think the system has any relays. The circuit goes through both switches at all times-- no matter which one you press both switches have to be good.

Old 06-26-2012, 12:38 PM
HCF Member

Good to know! Maybe I'll try buying a passenger side switch and if it doesn't work I'll just return it. There is one relay but it's the same for both the driver side motor and the passenger side motor so it's functioning just fine. I'll have to try to also track down a multimeter to check the continuity.

Old 06-27-2012, 04:14 AM
HCF Member

I found out the issue. I got to the store 20 min late to order a passenger switch. They wanted $120 for it! I was going to buy it, test the car with it and then return it lol. Anyway, I looked at the wiring diagram and used a test light. Found out one of the ground wires after the switch is broken somewhere. Narrowed down to about 2 feet of wire that I can't see or feel so I might just cut the wire as close as I can get on each side and splice a new 2 foot section in.

Old 06-27-2012, 04:23 AM
Recognized HCF Member

The wires break where they flex every time the door is opened. The outside of the wire will look OK but the copper inside is broken. If you splice in a new wire, use a good flexible wire (many fine strands instead of few coarse ones) and make the splices outside of the flex area.

Old 06-27-2012, 07:56 AM
HCF Member

The thing is, I used a test light starting from the passenger side to try to find the point that it started being a grounded wire (ie not broken) I got all the way to where the wires go behind the center of the dash. Then I started from the driver side and got all the way to the center dash again so that means that the break isn't in the doors. It's somewhere behind the radio area. Seems odd.

Old 07-14-2012, 01:32 PM
Default 96 Window problems

I'm having problems with my front passenger window on my 96 4d ex.

Hasn't worked for 2 years and randomly I started it up the other day and it just rolled down on its own.

Up til then, I thought I just had a broken motor in there. I decided to take it apart to try to diagnose.

Took everything out, tested both the switch and also hooked up the motor to the rear door and the motor ran fine. I'm thinking the problem must be in my wiring harness in my front passenger door.

Any ideas?

Old 07-17-2012, 05:12 AM
HCF Member

Sounds like you have a broken wire that got pushed back together making it continuous again. Have fun...