Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Increasing Deck Height?? i.e. 2 piece block?

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2013, 02:54 PM
HCF Member
Question Increasing Deck Height?? i.e. 2 piece block?

So i have a horrible question... horrible because it could be extremly dumb but none the less, a question it is...

So if I were to cut a donor block at a certain point, and then cut the top off of the block that will be used, fully studded the block and had the donor section welded on to the top of the block with a block gaurd inbetween them, and had custom sleeves pressed in, could this be done with a mild build? say 400-500hp? what i'm getting at is basicly a 3 piece engine. a head, a midsection from the donor, and the bottom of the block and crankcase ect.. this way i could add say 20-60mm in block height and run long rods with a stroker crank, adding displacement and torque without suffering from a lower rod ratio. now i did state a mild build that way there wouldnt be 1000hp trying to rip the engine to pieces but i do understand that there would be more reason for breakage and shifting of all the pieces but i figure having it welded, fully studded from top to bottom and having the custom sleeves pressed in without over boring the crap out of it (leaving some extra meat in the cylinder walls) and then having a machine shop go over the entire engine, having it xrayed for bubbles and weak points and all that good stuff i should be ok?? i dont doubt that nobody has done this exact process before and it seems really wacky but in my head it may have the potential to work... question would be how many runs could i get out of this before catostrophic failure occurs and would it be worth the time and money and buying multiple multiple blocks to find good donors and bases?
anybody wanna yell at me from stupidity feel free... could be just pipe-dreams/thoughts but i figure its worth asking!
~cheers~

Old 03-08-2013, 05:18 PM

Seems like a lot of money and trouble for no reason when there are motors out there capable of handling 4-500 hp easy. If you even start to think about doing this, you better make a project thread here

Old 03-08-2013, 10:52 PM
HCF Member

its not about handleing 4-500hp. its about a huge rod ratio. im a destroker guy at heart. my lifelong dream build includes destroking a toyota v8 and making ber dance in a 2nd gen. Soarer at nearly 10k rpm. but the problem with these hondas is that every 100ccs makes a dfference,,, well it MATTERS in every engine but these smaller scale engines even more so. but the whole point of this would be to run more displacement and add bottom end tq while leaving a lot of potential for top end hp.

im starting to think that there are a lot of better ways for me to invest my money into a honda however... maybe one day ill give it a shot. but for now an f20b super stroker s24k and a supercharged h27a cb7 accord will deffinitly do. ive still got to find space to start stashing 1uz and 2uz parts as well as h/ f series parts too now! lol

Old 03-11-2013, 06:23 PM
HCF Member

so my best guess so far is to not cut a ton off of the block ill be using and just make a sandwich plate of between 20-40mm in height, cnc-ed out of good quality aluminum alloy and have custom sleeves made for this set up. i want to have the sleeves lock in somehow to the plate or all be welded to a blockgaurd which would fit flush into the sandwich plate for extra strength(honestly, i think this set up will be stronger than a block without the plate!), increasing deck height 20-40mm of course. i would run a completely studded block and set of acorn style bolts and have an area around the stud be cut to fit the acorn sandwich plate bolt (kinda like a dowel pin and a lug being used as a mid-section headbolt). another benefit i thought of is because i could transission the water and oil ports and im already going to have to sleeve and bore over, i could essentially put any head on any block... with in reason. i dont think i'd go putting a zc head on an h23 or anything rediculess and pointless (;p) but i think maybe a sohc f22 head, which flows like a v8!, onto a jdm f20/22b and do something different in an s2k or just doing a safe and reliable g23-27 swap (now that displacement will never be an issue because you can easily machine a k24 crank to fit an h/f series block and @99mm of stroke, bam! youve got torque and displacement). but my main reason for excitement is i could run an h series in a fwd or an f in an s2k and have unlimited (minus hood clearance! ^.^) rod ratio and stroke capabilities which unlocks a whole new world of rpms!!
can you imagine an s2k with a powerband between 8-13.5k rpm?? i can! or a 2.7 sohc vtec killer cams going to 9k?? i will deffinitly be finding a machine shop to start the deck height sandwich plate in the next year, and once i build a couple, if theres interest ill sell to hcf members for a discounted rate of course!
~cherry ho!~

Last edited by Newbie2000ex; 03-11-2013 at 06:27 PM.
Old 03-13-2013, 02:24 PM
HCF Member

I think Golden Eagle sells a kit that does this exact thing. Not sure what its called though.