We're adding and testing new features:  Create your Garage, used it? Give us some feedback here.
Honda Civic Forum Home - Honda Civic Classifieds - Civic Photo Galleries - Create an Account

Go Back   HondaCivicForum.com > General Automotive > Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

Welcome to the HondaCivicForum.com.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 04-25-2008, 11:44 AM

Default THE INFAMOUS cold engine knock/tap HELP

Got a 95 lx 1.5L non v 146k miles only when cold under strain the engine makes noise. Ive done tune up, ran higher octane, seafoam, timing belt/wp, and fuel filter. What else can i do need helpplease help.
Old 04-25-2008, 11:51 AM
Recognized HCF Member

Default RE: THE INFAMOUS cold engine knock/tap HELP

Adjust the valves? It's not exactly the noise you describe but it is "noisy when cold." You will hear it at idle.

Also double check that your spark timing is set properly.
Old 04-25-2008, 12:07 PM

how do you check spark timing?
Old 04-25-2008, 12:18 PM
Recognized HCF Member

Should be in a FAQ somewhere but I'll hit the high points. Obtain a timing light. Warm up the engine and turn it off. Connect the timing light to spark plug wire #1. Jumper the test plug (the one with 2 wires) above the ECU. Start the engine. The check engine light should be on steady due to the jumper in the test plug. Observe the marks on the crank pulley with the timing light. You want the plastic pointer to point at the group of 3 notches in the pulley, usually the center one. If necessary, loosen the distributor bolts and rotate the distributor to adjust.
Old 04-25-2008, 12:54 PM

Ive been researching this problem and it seems that alot of these engines (d15b7) Have this type of cold engine sound under slight load when cold. Did anyone else have this problem ive discribed and how did you resolve this. I dont think this is timing related cause i bought the car already making the noise then i got a shop to replace timing belt last week and it still sounds the same with new belt. The engine doesnt skip or bog down runs fine just a little noisy when cold.
Old 04-25-2008, 01:58 PM
Recognized HCF Member
1997 Honda Civic

Maybe, as mk pointed out in his first post, you should try adjusting the valve clearance to spec.
Old 04-25-2008, 02:10 PM

Yeah lets hope thats the solution!!!Other than the tapping noise 40mpg. mixed driving. As mcdonalds would say Im lovin it. LMAO
Old 04-25-2008, 03:22 PM
Recognized HCF Member
1997 Honda Civic

Yeah, great gas mileage!

By the way, does the knocking/tapping noise seem to be coming from the upper or lower part of the engine?
Old 04-26-2008, 04:13 AM

I really cant tell but it does seem to sound like a valve but its not just a little tick tick
Old 05-05-2008, 08:34 PM
HCF Member

i realize it is may now but does your engine still do it. your original post was in april and depending on where you live it could still be damn cold. and if thats the case this is possible if you have the wrong weight or old oil in it. the thicker the oil the harder it is to pump which can cause your noise. but it should go away when the engine warms up a little. i live in ohio and my cadillac did that all winter. it would have a slight knock until the engine warmed up a little. its not that i had bad or wrong oil, it just got that cold.
Old 05-05-2008, 08:34 PM

Tags
2000, civic, cold, cx, engine, honda, knock, knocking, makes, noise, sound, tapping, upper, valve, warming