Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Installed Battery Backwards

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2012, 05:15 AM
Default Installed Battery Backwards

Hello, I never thought in a million years I would ever do something like this but I did. I installed a new battery backwards.
Hooked it up heard a buzzing noise noticed the turn signal lights were on, thats when I realized what I had done so I unhooked it as quick as I could but the damage was already done. Now after hooking the battery up correctly nothing is working ( of course) no dome lights no head lights nothing at all, seems to be dead as can be.
This is a 2010 Honda Civic Si with very few miles on it, I was actually surprised that the battery was even dead, and after thinking about it now it could have been the alternator, but after last night thats the least of my worries.
Does anybody have any suggestions as to where to start to replacing items..? I am thinking I will start with the main fuzes under the hood in the fuse box, I have located the 100 amp and 70 amp fuse, can`t tell if they are bad or not so I thougth I would just go get new ones and start there. Any suggestions at all would be appreciated.

Thanks alot..!!!

Old 12-18-2012, 04:52 PM

Did you see or smell electrical smoke?
Any melted wire casing?
CAUTION: that you don't have a direct ground fault now that could cause a fire. Disconnect the neg- terminal till all checks are done
Definately check fuses independently with an ohm meter or small test light & battery.

Old 12-20-2012, 09:09 AM

Turns out it wasn`t as bad as I had anticipated, all I had to do was change the #1 (Main Fuse) and all is well.

Thanks alot..!