Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

intermittant problem with starting civic

Old 12-30-2012, 04:20 PM
Default intermittant problem with starting civic

hey guess im new here with my 1999 honda civic, i have a B20b automatic swap in it and everything was always going well until recently, sometimes it starts and sometimes no.

now last time it ran, went well, did not drive it just let it run in the driveway, the time befor that, stalled on the highway, choked and died.

looked like if it was an electrical problem, now, when it starts, the fuel pumps works everything fin, but i cant plug my obd2 reader in the connector.

when it doesnt start like today, the pump doesnt turn on, i bypassed it and the fuel reaches the fuel rail, but not the cylinders, so injectors dont work, all of them.

anybody got a clue what this might be ?

Old 12-30-2012, 05:35 PM
Recognized HCF Member

If someone else did the swap, the first step is to go through and see what you have-- which ECU, is it chipped, etc. An OBD1 ECU obviously can't be read with an OBDII scanner.

Fuel pump not starting generally means the ECU isn't "booting up" at all. The ignition key switch itself is a common problem. Pull the brake handle up and make sure the "BRAKE" light stays on both with the key on and while cranking. It should be on the same circuit that runs the ECU.

Also the ECU grounds to the engine could be bad. Or anything in the harness, or as a possibility, but not real likely, the ECU itself.

Old 12-31-2012, 07:20 AM

1 - k ill check which ecu i have, how can i check if its chipped ?

2 - i have checked on the web and found out that some cars ( mostly american thought ) came out OBD I but with an OBD II connector, could this be possible É

3 - the check engine code was already checked in the passed so the connector once worked

4 - how can i check if its the ignition key? do i have to undo the whole thing or is theres a simpler way ?

5 - was the b20b engine ever OBD I anyways ?

6 - and last, checking the hand brake light tells me the ecu isnt booting or the ignition switch isnt working ? hey but the switch works thought, it starts the starter, but nothing else starts

thanks alot for the help !

Old 01-01-2013, 08:25 AM
Recognized HCF Member

If the brake light does not come on / stay on, the circuit is not getting power from the key switch. If the light does come on and stay on even while cranking, the circuit is OK.