Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

ipod to a 1998 Honda Civic

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2008, 11:18 AM
Default ipod to a 1998 Honda Civic

I'm going on a trip here soon, and i really wanted to find a way to hook up my new Ipod nano to my 1998 honda civic, i heard the FM tuners are awful ( i like my music loud ) and from what I can tell the 1998 civic has no aux input, so I cant do that, whats my cheapest and best option here?

Old 11-18-2008, 11:31 AM

oh yeah, ps - factory cd player is whats in the car

Old 11-18-2008, 12:14 PM

Your only options are to use a crappy FM transmitter, or upgrade that good-for-nothing 90's car stereo.
You can probably get a new mediocre stereo (still better than what you have) with a front AUX input jack for like $50 or so... the same cost for a good FM transmitter. Personally, I would spend like $100 and get an okay stereo... it's worth it.
Here's stereo installation instructions: https://www.hondacivicforum.com/foru...ad.php?t=70889

Old 11-18-2008, 02:03 PM
HCF Member

as i have had every thing that was listed above fm trans aux jack and dircect plug i can say there is nothing like getting a headunit that you can buy a ipod cable and plug it into the back because it charges your ipod while you listen to it. this said my headunit has both an aux in the back and ipod connectivity so i can also play other mp3 players if friends have no ipod. if you have the money go to a car audio place and get a headunit that comes with a dedicated ipod cable if not you have to buy the ipod cable sepreatly thats about 150-200$ the headunit with aux can go from 50-100$ and you can pick up fm trans for about 60$ there are other options that can be extreemly expensive and i dont advise them but if you are so inlove with your factory headunit go get one your corrisponding kit to hook it up

Old 11-18-2008, 03:14 PM
HCF Member

Just get a cassettetape adapter for your tape deck. This piece is a cassette with a 1/8" stereo plug on it like headphones do. If you don't have the stock tapedeck option you can get one here
http://www.devorecookeauto.com/
do a part search for a 1998 Civic cassette player
this salvageyard has the cassette player that is separate from the radio has a round DIN plug to connect to the radio CD and it mounts on the console by the cup holder.

Old 11-18-2008, 04:13 PM

^oh wow i completely forgot he might have a tape deck

Old 11-18-2008, 06:13 PM
Recognized HCF Member

i have no problem with my fm transmiter on my ipod....
as long as you set the radio station to a unused station it should be fine....
i have one that plugs right into ipod and also charges it as well with the same cord.

Old 11-18-2008, 06:14 PM
HCF Member

amen but the tape deck option still is a slight step above the fm transmitter if thats what you want you can find those things in some dollar stores

Old 11-18-2008, 06:17 PM
Recognized HCF Member

well id do a fm over tape deck any day... ive had a hell of a time with a few cassete adaptors that would not stay in the tape deck...

plus a tape deck..... thats so old school.LOL if you have a tape deck... ITS TIME TO UPGRADE!.LOL

Old 11-18-2008, 06:26 PM
HCF Member

ok i'll put this the best that I can...

crap
- wireless FM transmitter. kind of hit or miss if they work or not. also makes a big difference if you are close to the city or not.

good
- hard-wired FM modulator. actually goes directly in-line with your FM antenna behind the radio. get the quality of your best radio stations.
- tape deck adapter

better - replace the radio with one that has a front auxilary port. This will be the best possible signal, which is dependent on the quality of your music. and you still control the ipod with the ipod itself.

best - replace the radio with one that has a dedicated ipod hookup, or one that has a usb hookup that can be used for an ipod. doing this it also will charge the ipod, and you will usually control the ipod with the radio. this will be the same quality audio as the front auxilary input.

Quick Reply: ipod to a 1998 Honda Civic