Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Just got car back from mechanic..and this happened after stopping

Old 06-01-2014, 08:30 AM
Default Just got car back from mechanic..and this happened after stopping

So I'm a bit frustrated..after having my compressor blow up I had the car in the mechanic and he changed out for a new compressor and he also changed the wheel bearings because they needed to be replaced. Before taking it in I did not have a braking issue and no noise was coming from the brakes.

I picked up the car after hours and after stopping the first time this terrible noise started happening:

You can feel it in the brake and gets really bad when you press the brake. The brake pads look like they're in place. I attached some pics.

I drove it home slowly and today I took the lug nuts off to take the wheel off and the wheel would not budge. I had to use a rubber mallet and some light force to get it loose.

Here are some pictures of the area after I got the wheel off:
Honda Civic - Imgur

Any ideas? I'm hoping it's something I can take care of because I need the car ASAP. Mechanic doesn't open until tuesday.

Old 06-01-2014, 12:28 PM
Recognized HCF Member

In the last picture, the bottom bolt that holds the caliper onto the knuckle appears to be missing. That is of course no good. Check the caliper and the inside of the wheel for marks where they may have rubbed together. It goes without saying, don't drive like that. You can take the top bolt out and take it to a parts store as a reference to buy another one like it, then secure the caliper on with both bolts, and assuming no other major mistakes have been made, good to go.

Also the big nut on the end of the axle is a locking design where you would peen the flange around the outside down into the slot in the axle to keep it from coming loose. It does not appear that that has been done. The nut needs to be tight to avoid bearing damage and other problems.

A thorough inspection of both sides is called for, as this guy's work is quite shoddy. Be sure to check that the nuts on ball joints and the tie rod ends are tight and have the cotter pin in place to lock it. You do not want that stuff to come apart while driving.

Last edited by mk378; 06-01-2014 at 12:43 PM.
Old 06-01-2014, 04:17 PM
HCF Member

wow i have never seen such a *** up like this from a supposed mechanic. he even stripped the screws holding on the rotor. and what happened to your dust shield ???.who knows what else this guy did i hope you didn't pay much if so consider suing.

Last edited by itburnswhenIP; 06-01-2014 at 04:25 PM.
Old 06-01-2014, 06:49 PM
Recognized HCF Member

This is definitley a "tell your friends to never go to that place" situation. I'd really be crossing my fingers before pressing that A/C button too. Or trying to drive anywhere.

Old 06-01-2014, 10:11 PM
HCF Member

was this some backyard mechanic or is this a licensed establishment ???. from what i can see im guessing what i can't see could be potentially fatal for you your passengers and the people around you this is some serious ****. i wouldn't take this half heartily this guy tried to kill you.

Old 06-05-2014, 09:00 AM
HCF Member

Good eye on the last pix mk...

Old 06-07-2014, 04:56 AM

holy crap, my integra makes the same type of noise in the rear when pushing on the brakes but not to that loud. all my bolts are in and I know the brakes needs replacing though. lol