Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Key will not come out of the ignition...

Old 10-23-2007, 11:51 AM
HCF Member
Default Key will not come out of the ignition...

I drove to work last wednesday, and when I parked the car went to pull the key, it didn't come out. It was stuck in the accessory position (meaning radio will still be on). Nobody knew what to do, so I ended up bringing it to my mechanic who works for honda. So he tried his luck and nothing, so I ended up getting a new ignition put it. Drove it a few times this week, and didn't really have any problems. Key got stuck once, but I was able to get it out like a min later. Well, driving home today and park the car and guess what, key won't come out again. Same **** over again, stuck in the accessory position and won't come out. If anyone has any idea I'd greatly appreciate it.

Old 10-23-2007, 12:00 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: Key will not come out of the ignition...

is it an auto? if so i would check the interlock mecanism that wont allow you to remove the key if it isnt in park

Old 10-23-2007, 12:15 PM
HCF Member

Something similar happened to my dad's truck I know Honda is different to Nissan. His problem was his starter...Good Luck Buddy

Old 10-23-2007, 12:26 PM
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: cpl rampage

is it an auto? if so i would check the interlock mecanism that wont allow you to remove the key if it isnt in park
Yeah, it's a cvt, so technically it is an auto. But I tried to remove it in neutral aswell.

Old 10-24-2007, 07:40 AM
Recognized HCF Member

Yeah the problem is probably the switch, wiring, etc. that detects when it is in Park. I think it has to be in Park, not just Neutral, because they want to be sure the car is stopped before you can turn it all the way to lock the steering wheel and remove the key.

Old 10-24-2007, 09:23 AM

indeed, it's called a transmission interlock, which also requires the brake be depressed when transfering from park to gear...

if you can freely change into drive or reverse from park without touching the brake, i would hazard a guess that the sensor/switch is gone.

not sure how to replace them