Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

keyless entry compatible?

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2013, 11:09 PM
Default keyless entry compatible?

Sorry if im posting in the wrong section, im new here. My question is for keyless entry and whether its compatible on my 98dx. The driver side door handle needs to be pulled for it to lock (Im pretty sure its suppossed to...), so I was wondering if that would be a problem for aftermarket keyless entry. Im not looking to install the buttons on the interior, just have the keyfob to lock/unlock instead of manually doing it (which as we all know can be a real hassle sometimes). I appretiate any helpful response and can give more info if needed.

Old 04-19-2013, 06:34 AM

Originally Posted by 98dxsedan
The driver side door handle needs to be pulled for it to lock (Im pretty sure its suppossed to...), so I was wondering if that would be a problem for aftermarket keyless entry.
You are correct, that is normal operation. Should not be a problem for aftermarket keyless entry.

That being said, if you care about quality I highly recommend finding the OEM power lock actuators from an LX or EX and installing those. Try eBay for used parts or a junkyard. You could even buy new from the dealer. They bolt directly onto the bottom of the latch mechanism and you can either custom wire them by cutting off the connector or even installing the OEM door wire harnesses from the LX or EX.

Aftermarket should work just fine I suppose, but you have to figure out a good way to mount them so that the lock functions optimally. This is why I prefer OEM actuators. When I had my del Sol, I used OEM actuators and door wire harnesses to install a Viper keyless entry system, and it only cost me about $30 for the OEM actuators and wiring harnesses. It performed very solidly and there was no guess-work in the actuator mounting.

Old 04-20-2013, 02:57 AM

Thanks so much for the help. Ill try my local you-pull-it for the actuators and take it from there. Giant help. Thanks again.

Old 04-20-2013, 05:56 AM

You're welcome. To clarify about the door wiring harnesses, if you use them you still need either the LX/EX lower dash wiring harness or to add the pins yourself to the plug in the door jam and then run custom wires. The worst part of installing the power locks is running the wires.