Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

keys wont come out of the ignition.

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2009, 06:38 AM
HCF Member
Default keys wont come out of the ignition.

So, last night i was going to park my car and my i put my car in park (yes its an automatic) and when i went to take my car key out it wouldnt come out. You know how there is 3 stages to the ignition 1. put the key in 2. power the electricity and 3. start engine.

Well my key would turn off the engine but not the electricity. after about 20 minutes of trying to get the key out myself. The key was stuck as if the car was off with the steering wheel locked but the steering wheel could still move freely and it was in the 2 stage of the ignition. I finally ask my husband to come and help he got the key out but he kept turning the steering wheel until the key popped out.

Its done it three times in a row. but, my question is do you think its the ignition itself or steering wheel column? and what should i do to fix it?

Old 05-19-2009, 09:39 PM

Could be a couple of problems.

To your recollection, has there been any kinda of spilled drinks (especially coffee or soda) in or around the shifter. I ask b/c there's a park/neutral switch that prevents drivers from starting the car in any position other than P or N. So, if this switch gets sticky or damaged then the ignition doesn't recognize that the car is in P and will not allow you to turn the key to the first position.

Another possibility is that you could just simply have a worn ignition assembly/key. Do you have another key to try and see if it's doing the same thing? If the spare key is no help, try wiggling the key as you turn it to the first position. With the key in the 2nd or 3rd position, see if you can gently pull the key out. If there's play there then you definitely have worn parts/key.

Old 05-20-2009, 06:19 AM
Recognized HCF Member

You should hear a click near the key when you move the shift lever between reverse and park (with the engine off). If you don't hear that clicking check the shift lever switch.

If you can't turn the key to "off" (last stop before "lock") the key mechanism itself may be jammed.