We're adding and testing new features:  Create your Garage, used it? Give us some feedback here.
Honda Civic Forum Home - Honda Civic Classifieds - Civic Photo Galleries - Create an Account

Go Back   HondaCivicForum.com > General Automotive > Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

Welcome to the HondaCivicForum.com.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 11-18-2011, 01:09 PM

Default Location of starter relay in '05 civic

I have a 2005 civic LX. I replaced the starter thinking that was my problem with the car not starting. That worked for about 24 hours. Now, again the car is not turning over at all and the battery is fine. I think I do hear the fuel pump kick on when I turn the key.
I think it may be the starter relay but have no idea where it is. It is not listed in the fuse/relay box under the hood. I'd appreciate it if anyone thinks it could be the starter relay and if so, where it is located.

Last edited by Murph; 11-18-2011 at 02:13 PM.
Old 11-18-2011, 06:26 PM
HCF Member

Is the green key light under the fuel/temp gauges coming on at all when the car won't start? It should come on for a few seconds when you try to start and blink 3 times when you remove the key.
Old 11-18-2011, 08:19 PM
Recognized HCF Member

You should jump the starter to make sure the starter is OK and able to get power from the battery. Put transmission in neutral (or park if automatic), set parking brake, leave key off. Go under the hood and unplug the small wire on the starter. Connect a test wire from the small terminal on the starter to battery (+). The engine should crank.

Assuming that test passes, on manual Civics the switch on the clutch pedal is a common cause of not cranking.

Last edited by mk378; 11-18-2011 at 08:26 PM.
Old 11-19-2011, 04:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anibis View Post
Is the green key light under the fuel/temp gauges coming on at all when the car won't start? It should come on for a few seconds when you try to start and blink 3 times when you remove the key.
Yes, green key light comes on and then blinks as you mentioned. What can I eliminate off the list of potential problems by that working properly?
Old 11-19-2011, 01:42 PM
HCF Member

Yep, the immobilizer is a common problem to have in 7th gen's that's why I asked. I would try what mk378 said next. Do you have a 5 speed or auto?
Old 11-19-2011, 01:42 PM

Tags
05, 06, 2007, civic, clutch, honda, located, location, lx, pedal, problem, relay, solenoid, starter, test