Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

2007 Civic DX A/C Intermittent

Old 05-31-2016, 01:22 AM
Default 2007 Civic DX A/C Intermittent

Hello.

I was reading for a few hours and found this forum to be very knowledgeable and most helpful.

Read quite a few topics for A/C issues before posting mine, but could not find the one that resolved mine fully.

Problem:

A/C Intermittent. When vehicle engine is cold, A/C turns on. Runs for about 10-25 min and then Clutch disengages and only warm air comes out. While A/C runs for those 10-25 minutes. Manifold Pressure Gauge read proper and stable. System is charged with the right amount of Freon.

Tried the following:

While the vehicle was cold. Put the ignition key in second accessory position(engine not running) to power up the dash and everything else. Pulled out A/C Clutch Relay > Jumped Pin 30 to 87 with a wire > Compressor clutch Engaged (clicked on).

Started the engine, jumped 30 to 87 again. Clutch came on and stayed on while jumped.(compressor and system operating normally)

Waited for 20min or so until the compressor clutch disengaged, pulled the relay and jumped 30 to 87 > Nothing, compressor clutch does not engage. Checked to make sure that one of the pins either 30 or 87 still had power(12v). It did.

Disconnected the 3 Wire Connector going directly to A/C Compressor.
Measured all 3 Wires on Compressor side. 1 was Ground, the other 2 Nothing. (Using a test light (red power, green ground).
I assume that Ground one was for the coil and put Direct 12v power to it to try and engage the compressor Clutch. (nothing happened) No click. Compressor clutch can be spun by hand.

I was reading here somewhere about the other 2 wires, they seem to be some sort of wires for the Thermal Switch? Where is that switch located? How can I test the switch?

To me this sounds like a Clutch/Compressor issue BUT... I am not a professional and would like your guys advice before I replace my Compressor.

Thank you.