Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Is Lucas Leak Fix Power Steering Fluid safe to use on my civic?

Old 12-06-2010, 08:00 PM
HCF Member
Default Is Lucas Leak Fix Power Steering Fluid safe to use on my civic?

I've been reading and found several people say that its worked miracles for them, but is it safe to use in a Honda? I understand that many people have gotten a leaky rack and pinion from using the wrong kind of power steering fluid, and I really dont want that headache on my hands.

any first hand experience with this?

Thanks,
Shandles

Old 12-07-2010, 03:32 AM
Recognized HCF Member

Where is it leaking?

If you have a leak you can also just take the pump belt off and drive without power steering until you want to fix it, if that time ever comes. A small car like a Civic is not hard to drive with only manual steering, many were built that way from the factory.

Old 12-07-2010, 03:36 AM
HCF Member

Call Lucas tech support and find out what answer you'll get.

Old 12-07-2010, 04:43 AM

Depends on how bad the leak is. I used it on one Civic and it just leaked out. I used it on another and would swear by it from that experience. Worked great.

Old 12-07-2010, 02:01 PM
HCF Member

well, I changed the pump today. I have no idea where it was leaking from. the hoses are new. the pump was old and the bracket holding the pump to the block was only held on with one bolt :/

but anyways, its got a new pump and clean Honda fluid in it now. I didnt end up using any of the Lucas stuff, but if it continues to leak out, I'll give it a try. until then I'll be keeping a sharp eye on how much is in the resevoir.

thanks guys! I love HCF

Old 04-08-2016, 01:33 AM

This is an old thread but I have used Lucas Power Steering Stop Leak for many years in 3 cars, including 2 Hondas. This stuff is really super good stuff! Wait until your power steering fluid is very low or almost empty in the plastic fill container. Fill up the MAX line with Lucas. You may have to repeat it 2 or 3 times over the next few days or weeks, BUT after that it should be good for about 6 months or so. If you have to add again after that, you may want to add about 25% of HONDA fluid. In other words you probably should have a little regular HONDA power steering fluid in the system... but mostly fill with Lucas. NEVER EVER USE REGULAR POWER STEERING FLUID. IT IS THE KISS OF DEATH IF YOU DO. ALWAYS GET THE FLUID THAT SAYS FOR HONDA. AUTOZONE AND OTHERS SELL IT. Hope this helps someone

Old 05-29-2016, 04:14 PM
HCF Member

From my experience using lucas PS stop leak...it seemed to really smooth up my steering but once winter set in my pump would make a really loud noise on start up in the cold mornings. I took everything out and put honda PS fluid in and the noise went away. If you live in a warm climate it's good stuff.