Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

messed up Installing new cd receiver

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2012, 02:57 PM
Default messed up Installing new cd receiver

Hello, my cd receiver stopped taking cds so I thought i'd go out and purchase a new one. I made sure to get a pioneer as that was my previous unit so I figured I could do a quick 10 minute switch. However the adapter wasn't the same, so I got a new adapter, hooked up the wires with the butt connectors, plugged in my new unit and it wouldn't power on. I then tried to redo it so I could hook in my old unit, and now that one doesn't work. So I am pretty sure that i pulled something somewhere. So my question would there be anything in particular that would stop my unit from powering on? I also tried removing the butt connectors from the power cables, red ignition and yellow constant and tied the two copper ends together to insure connectivity and I connected the ground directly to a unpainted metal spot. this is my first "mod" (if you can even call it that), I figured it would be something simple that I could get started with. So I apologize for the lack of appropriate terminology. Let me know what else you guys need from me, or if i you think i should just take it into the shop.

This is a honda forum but to let you all know :
2003 honda civic DX

Old 10-23-2012, 03:53 PM
HCF Member

Check your fuse

Old 10-23-2012, 06:57 PM
Recognized HCF Member

I think the 2003, like the older models, has a fuse under the hood for the always live (yellow wire) circuit. In any case, there are two fuses. Check that the yellow wire is always live and the red one switches on and off with the key.

Old 10-24-2012, 09:48 AM

okay, so i opened up my manual and check the layout of the fuses. There was one under my steering wheel for "audio" so that's the one I checked, plus there is also one on the backside of my cd receiver. Both looked good to me, after looking up pictures online, however I will probably go out and change them anyways when i make my way to the store. and fuse for the yellow wire? what would I be looking for in the manual to identify that as the correct fuse? would it hurt to just pull each and every fuse in both boxes (under the hood and under the steering wheel) and see if any of them are bad and replace accordingly, or are there certain fuses that shouldn't be pulled?

Old 10-24-2012, 12:38 PM
Recognized HCF Member

I think the one under the hood for the yellow wire is called "BACK UP". You can pull every one to check them.

It's always a good idea to disconnect the battery before any electrical work.

Old 10-25-2012, 08:05 AM

Okay, thanks mk378. It works now. I went and checked the "Backup" fuse under the hood and it was blown. Changed that and it was good to go.

Thanks again for all your help.