Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Missing ground wire on my valve cover - how important is this?

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2014, 02:13 PM
Default Missing ground wire on my valve cover - how important is this?

EDIT: Forgot to add the most important part! It's a 96 Civic CX

I'm just beginning to learn about cars, so please do forgive me if I'm using the wrong terms. So recently my alternator died. Before i changed the alternator there were many problems - most noticeably - the headlights were so dim I could not really tell they were on at night, the radio and dash would flicker on and off sometimes, and if I didn't drive the car for about a week, it wouldn't start because the battery would be drained. The one thing that was NOT going on was my battery light never once came on. (Note - other dash lights functioned properly, like my seatbelt light, brake light, etc.)

I took out the old alternator and had it tested, it was confirmed that it was bad (took it in to autozone and they did some test on the alternator itself). I bought a new alternator and installed it, and while I was at it changed my P/S pump belt and alternator belt.

So - since changing the alternator - immediate difference is noticed. Headlights are super bright, car starts great and is running fine. however - now the battery dash light is ALWAYS on, although it is only very, very dim. Dim enough that I can only tell its on when it's night time (contrast this with the fact that say when the brake light on the dashboard comes on if I put on the e brakes, even if it's super bright out, I can clearly see the little red dash light illuminated)

I was doing some voltage drop tests, and while exchanging pictures of my car under the hood, someone pointed out that I am missing a ground wire for my valve cover. You can see it pointed out in the bottom right part of this picture here: http://imgur.com/uHfg1Kj The car has never had this ground wire since I got it. I was curious if there's a possibility this could be causing electrical problems? Is it something I need to go buy? If so - where do you recommend I buy it?

Last edited by learning_about_cars; 09-20-2014 at 02:23 PM.
Old 09-20-2014, 04:44 PM
HCF Member

if it's not properly grounded the coolant will become charged and electrolysis will eventually burn holes in the radiator & engine among other issues. you can just get some 2-0 gauge wire and some cable lugs and make your own just remember to make it as short as possible because electricity always takes the path of least resistance.

Last edited by itburnswhenIP; 09-20-2014 at 04:53 PM.
Old 09-20-2014, 06:33 PM
Recognized HCF Member

The stock wire is about 8 ga, you don't need 2/0 (which is very heavy wire) but you do need a wire there.

The battery light is controlled directly by the alternator, if it is on with the engine running that generally means the alternator is bad.

You have checked your fuse 15, right?

Old 09-21-2014, 08:33 AM

Yeah, I checked fuse 15 - it's good. Checked all my other fuses while I was at it and no problems. Is this common though, that the alternator would be bad right out of the box?? I didn't buy a rebuilt one or anything, I bought one brand new.

About the ground wire - is that something that's safe to just pull from like an LKQ or something? I must admit I don't know anything about electricity stuff, wires, etc., so I'm not really certain even what a 2-0 gauge wire is. I am worried now knowing that this wire has not been there in all 3 years I've been driving this car.

Old 09-23-2014, 09:52 PM
HCF Member

im guessing the previous owner had installed an after market stereo with a Big 3 upgrade and took off all the upgraded grounds google ''Big 3 upgrade''. and the stock ground on these cars are way to small to begin with 2 guage is perfect.

Last edited by itburnswhenIP; 09-23-2014 at 09:55 PM.
Old 10-01-2014, 04:30 PM
HCF Member

I don't have a wire on mine either....It connects from the valve cover to a ground? Or does a wire connect there from somewhere/something?

It looks like something is missing from the beginning of ItburnswhenIp's comment