Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

my car dont suck water from Bottle?

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2014, 09:45 PM
Default my car dont suck water from Bottle?

My car Honda Civic 2004 Prosmetic have heating problem. My temperature meter rises more than normal.

When i check the water in radiator, there is short of water and i poured more than a litre in it. when opened the cap of water bottle, the water was full to its ends, dont know whats going on.

There is no leak. Cooling fans works perfect. any suggestion ?

Old 02-10-2014, 06:12 AM
Recognized HCF Member

Usually this is because the head gasket is blown, causing gas pressure to build up in the system and push the coolant out of the radiator into the bottle. A bubble also forms in the top of the engine, causing overheating and stopping the flow through the heater core.

There are several checks for a blown head gasket, the easiest one at home is to get the radiator and engine completely full then start the engine (cold) with the radiator cap off and rev it. If bubbles and / or coolant right away start coming out of the radiator constantly, there is a leak in the engine. When things are OK there is little or no action in the radiator before the engine warms up.

Sometimes it is just because the seal in the radiator cap is bad (the top rubber seal that mates with the top of the radiator neck), or there is a leak in the hose between the radiator and the bottle. The cap and hose have to be completely airtight for the system to work.

Even in warm climates, NEVER use plain water except in an emergency. Running plain water instead of coolant mixture will cause severe corrosion of the engine.

Last edited by mk378; 02-10-2014 at 06:14 AM.
Old 02-10-2014, 07:07 AM
HCF Member

Check your overflow tube for holes and see if it is connected well

Last edited by Fanboy_Troll; 02-10-2014 at 07:12 AM.
Old 02-10-2014, 10:13 AM
HCF Member

the 01-05 are prone to blown head gaskits unfortunately but here is a video that mite help you better diagnose the problem.

Old 02-10-2014, 08:36 PM
Default HI

Originally Posted by mk378
Usually this is because the head gasket is blown, causing gas pressure to build up in the system and push the coolant out of the radiator into the bottle. A bubble also forms in the top of the engine, causing overheating and stopping the flow through the heater core.

There are several checks for a blown head gasket, the easiest one at home is to get the radiator and engine completely full then start the engine (cold) with the radiator cap off and rev it. If bubbles and / or coolant right away start coming out of the radiator constantly, there is a leak in the engine. When things are OK there is little or no action in the radiator before the engine warms up.

Sometimes it is just because the seal in the radiator cap is bad (the top rubber seal that mates with the top of the radiator neck), or there is a leak in the hose between the radiator and the bottle. The cap and hose have to be completely airtight for the system to work.

Even in warm climates, NEVER use plain water except in an emergency. Running plain water instead of coolant mixture will cause severe corrosion of the engine.

Thanks for detailed reply.
I checked the bubbles formation but there is no trouble in water, and it remain leveled.
there is no leak between radiator and bottle.
However the cap of the bottle have leaks. Am not sure about the cap of radiator if its ok or not. should i change it ?

Yes i use mix of coolant with plain water.

2 to 3 times i airtight the cap of water bottle and checked that this time water was used from bottle. but another time it didn't work.

Last edited by sarah431; 02-10-2014 at 08:39 PM.
Old 02-11-2014, 04:30 AM
HCF Member

Check the oil color. Also listen for any pressure release when you pull the cap. Inspect the cap for wear.

Old 02-11-2014, 06:00 AM
Recognized HCF Member

If there's any doubt about the radiator cap, replace it.

The cap on the bottle is supposed to fit loosely to let air in and out as the bottle fills and empties through the hose connected to the bottom. The bottle is not designed or intended to withstand pressure, so don't seal the cap.

Old 02-11-2014, 10:47 PM
Default hi

Originally Posted by mk378
If there's any doubt about the radiator cap, replace it.

The cap on the bottle is supposed to fit loosely to let air in and out as the bottle fills and empties through the hose connected to the bottom. The bottle is not designed or intended to withstand pressure, so don't seal the cap.
Ok, i will try this. and let you know. Thanks any way

Old 02-12-2014, 04:19 AM
HCF Member

Originally Posted by Fanboy_Troll
Check the oil color. Also listen for any pressure release when you pull the cap. Inspect the cap for wear.
Sorry I should have specified. I was referring to the radiator cap not the reservoir.