Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

My car vibrates in idle...HELP!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2007, 01:45 PM
Default My car vibrates in idle...HELP!!

OK...this car has been one problem after another. I have a '95 Honda Civic DX 1.5 L engine with automatic transmission. My problem is that when I stop, whether in park or not, the car vibrates. It's a noticable all-over vibration. My dad and I have been working on this car since October, so I'm going to list what's gone wrong and what we fixed in the hope that it will give someone a clue as to what might be wrong with my car now.
I have replaced the radiator cap twice (due to overheating). I replaced the spark plugs and spark plug wires. The distributor cap and rotor cap have been replaced twice (the first dist. cap split). I blew the head gasket so seal, bolts...all that fun stuff replaced. Temperature sending unit, computer fan switch ? (don't know technical name...it's next to the temperature sending unit), thermostat, water pump, all four belts, and pcv valve (twice...first ghetto one from AutoZone crapped out afterthree months) have all been replaced. The drivebelt pulley cracked while replacing the head and was replaced as well. I have changed the transmission fluid, the oil and oil filter. I have run cleaners through the transmission, fuel system cleaner, and engine cleaner through the oil. My dad put in this 90 degree angled pipe (kinda looks likepvc pipe) in the intake air line to the pcv valve. He also jumped the timing thingy (I know...real technical, but I don't remember what he called it and it's not the belt). It was better for about 48 hours and then it went right back to the vibrating. We've checked the timing, the pressure in the cylinders, and the motor mounts. We are about to beat our freaking heads against the wall! Help!!

Old 03-28-2007, 08:19 AM
Laced with Sarcasm
Default RE: My car vibrates in idle...HELP!!

Any CEL's? Does the vibration change at all depending on motor temperature? Any idle surging?

Old 03-28-2007, 08:21 AM
HCF Member

This may sound silly and its very possible that you and your dad have overlooked this. I had this exact same problem...

I think your motor mounts are shot.

Old 03-28-2007, 09:50 AM

ORIGINAL: Remmy

This may sound silly and its very possible that you and your dad have overlooked this. I had this exact same problem...

I think your motor mounts are shot.
or a transmission mount

those would be my first two guesses though for vibrations

Old 03-28-2007, 12:35 PM

Original: Forty04

I'm sorry, I'm learning about my engine as I go, so you are going to have to explain CEL's to me The vibration is not dependent on engine temp. By idle surging, do you mean that it sounds like the idle is changing speed and going back and forth? It was, but when we changed the air intake line and fuel filter (I forgot to mention that), it stopped.

Original: Remmy

Actually we thought of that and motor mounts are fine.

Original: cderalow

Transmission mount has been checked and is fine.

Old 03-28-2007, 12:37 PM
Laced with Sarcasm

ORIGINAL: theatrecivic

Original: Forty04

I'm sorry, I'm learning about my engine as I go, so you are going to have to explain CEL's to me The vibration is not dependent on engine temp. By idle surging, do you mean that it sounds like the idle is changing speed and going back and forth? It was, but when we changed the air intake line and fuel filter (I forgot to mention that), it stopped.
Which "air intake line" what does it connect to?

CEL = Check Engine Light

Idle surge is just like you said, when the idle changes on its own.

Old 03-28-2007, 03:27 PM

To: Forty04

I mean thesmall hosefrom the air intake manifold to the pcv valve. My dad cut the line and installed this mini-pvc pipe looking thing that is at a ninety degree angle. The hose was collapsing at that first bend, so that was Dad's way of fixing it.

As for CEL's (I've never heard them shortened to that), none have been on for awhile. They all still work. Their sensors just aren't sensing any problems.

Old 03-28-2007, 03:40 PM
HCF Member

Well I will be checking my motor mounts becasue I have this problem I just never thing to poast and ask but this helps.

Old 03-28-2007, 03:50 PM
Laced with Sarcasm

In my opinion, introducing new parts to a system of this nature isn't really the best idea. Is it possible for you to get a picture of the PCV system above the intake mani? It may help