Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Mystery part, etc,

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2012, 05:08 PM
HCF Member
Default Mystery part, etc,

Hey all,
Few quick questions:

1. I was driving up the hill on the way home yesterday when I felt a few quick thumps on the bottom of my HB... Started around my feet, then mid-car, then towards the back, and when I looked in the rear view the bouncing item looked like the bolt on smaller part of a connecting rod, but slightly larger... My question is: Since most or all of you know alot about Civics, is there anything on my car that could have fallen off that I should be worried about? Seemed to be running fine at first, was even a little quieter, but today it sounds a little louder than it was, and on a couple of the turns on the way home it was accelerating a bit slow after the turn...(also seems to be sucking down gas like crazy! on tuesday night I filled it up with an avg mpg on last tank around 35mpg... this time I've gone through over 1/4 tank on around 90 miles!

2. Any of you know if there is a template online that I can use to make myself a spare tire lid? Didn't have one when I bought the car, and the only place I'm finding one that's buyable wants $105+shipping which isnt happening..

3. Any of you know how much a new exhaust system will cost? the 'experts' that welded the 'new' exhaust up on this thing left a few nasty leaks around the muffler and I'm worried about getting pulled over...<.<

Thanks again!

Last edited by 91DxRob; 09-20-2012 at 05:18 PM.
Old 09-21-2012, 06:46 AM

1. No clue. Maybe something exhaust related since it is louder now? Don't go by mileage after "1/4 tank". Fill up the tank, then divide the miles by how many gallons you just added.

2. Buy MDF board from a place like Home depot and cut it to shape. Wrap it in some nice fabric (craft store) using hot glue and spray on adhesive and you will be set.

3. OEM, or aftermarket? If OEM, just find a cheaper part company that can sell the piping and muffler etc to you. Shouldn't be much more than $150ish. If aftermarket, check youtube to find what you like the best, then go price shipping on eBay/google.

Old 09-22-2012, 09:09 AM
HCF Member

Oh I know on the mileage thing... on the 11gallon tank 1/4 is approximately 2.5 gallons, so I guess 90 miles on 2.5 gallons isn't to horrible hehe..

For forming the MDF, or whatever I decide to use (thought about a piece of nicer wood so it lasts longer..) does cardboard bend pretty well for making a useable template?

as for the exhaust, I'm not wasting money on aftermarket on this car.. Don't have the $ for aftermarket...