Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Need help pinpointing coolant leak at back of engine

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2013, 03:39 AM
Default Need help pinpointing coolant leak at back of engine

Hi,

My '02 sedan just had a complete loss of coolant from a leak at the back of the engine, near the bottom of the block, on the driver's side. Now, if I pour a quart of water into the rad, it will all drip out of this leak. I've got a picture of its location using a mirror -- it seems to drip from the bottom flange of some component bolted to the block, but I don't know what it is. Can someone tell me what's back there that might leak coolant?

In the attached picture, the mirror is pointing at the back of the block just to the drivers side of the oil filter. The red arrow is pointing vertically upward, and the leak drips from the tip of the arrow.

Attached Thumbnails Need help pinpointing coolant leak at back of engine-cleanedupleak.jpg  
Old 07-16-2013, 05:19 AM
Recognized HCF Member

My guess would be the seal in the water pump is blown and it's coming out of the weep hole near the alternator and running down. There isn't much else on that side that contains coolant. If you can raise the car and get underneath to look up at it you can see things a lot better.