Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

New buy, strange problems (Overheating)

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2013, 05:57 PM
Default New buy, strange problems (Overheating)

Ok guys, this is the first import I have ever owned. Bought it for my step son. 1993 Honda DX bone stock for dirt cheap from a friend. Heres is the run down and maybe one of you will have bells ringing in there heads.

Old owners story.
Bought it after front end damage. Had the radiator support replaced but in the process the radiator and AC condenser was damaged and both replaced. Some how it overheating at some point so a buddy of his replaced the 1.5 head with a 1.6 head and new gasket. The guy said the water pump was fine and let it ride. Its a little hard to start now but once its started it runs like a champ.....BUT it overheats more so when its being driven and NOT so much when its sitting still. The fan is brand new and I have no worries with those parts. My first question to the guy, "Did you set the timing after the new head and belt?" "NOPE" well is that my problem?

The timing needs to be set? He thinks the guy did a bad job on the head install but I see nothing in the oil and its not smoking....granted guys I have literally had this thing now for less then 12 hours. I a very mechanical guy and drag racer...but this little thing has me scratching my head.

If its the timing how to I set the timing on this thing and what is it supposed to be set at? If its the head, should I have the old 1.5 head planed and put it back on it??? HELP!

Thanks for any info

Matt

Old 04-16-2013, 08:47 PM
Recognized HCF Member

Start (cold) with the radiator cap off and see if any bubbles blow out of the radiator when you rev the engine. That would mean the head gasket is leaking or there is a crack in the head or the block.

After draining and refilling the coolant, is important to purge the system and get the radiator completely full. That is done by parking facing uphill if possible (or at least on level ground), turn the heater to full hot and run the engine with the cap off, adding coolant as needed to keep the radiator completely full.

To set timing warm up the engine and install the ECU test jumper, which is located above the carpet on the right side panel of the car under the dash. There are two small plugs there that don't go anywhere. One has 3 wires, leave it alone. The one with two wires is the test plug. Install a jumper to short the two wires together. When you start the engine now, the check engine light should come on steady indicating the ECU is in test mode. Connect a timing light to cylinder 1 and rotate distributor to get the timing onto the center notch of the group of 3 in the crank pulley. The distributor should end up approximately centered. If you have to turn it all the way to one end of the adjusting range, the timing belt is likely off by a tooth.

Last edited by mk378; 04-17-2013 at 05:22 AM.