Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

New check engine light, engine shut off after stopping?

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2014, 11:15 AM
Default New check engine light, engine shut off after stopping?

Ok, so about 2 weeks or so ago, I started having some problems with my car (2002 Honda Civic LX). After going to the mall, it wouldn't start when I was about to leave. I waited a little while, tried starting it again a few times, and the engine finally turned over and I was driving fine after that.

A week later, I was picking my brother up, and again, I couldn't start my car. I haven't gotten my oil changed in a year (I know, I should get on that), so my brother got some oil from the gas station, put it in, then my car started, although I'm pretty sure it was just coincidence that it started right after that.

Then yesterday, things started getting worse. I picked my brother up, and I noticed that on the way back to my house, the check engine light came on. I was driving fine for a while although I felt as if the car was rattling more than usual (could have just been a mental thing, I was just concerned about making it home). We come to a red light, then after that, I notice I'm not able to accelerate anymore because my engine shut off. I tried starting it a few more times but it wouldn't start. I ended up getting the car towed back to my place.

Today, I decided to try starting it again, and it ends up starting. I drove around my neighborhood to see if it would shut off after coming to a full stop, but it worked fine. Although I noticed something. I tried revving my engine, and it wouldn't go past the 5 on the rpm meter (I don't know how many rpms that is), as if it wouldn't shift gears or something.

I've read up that apparently this could all be caused by a vacuum leak. I'm extremely naive when it comes to cars so I really don't know anything haha. Any possibility of what could be going on?

Old 03-19-2014, 10:22 PM
HCF Member

i would suggests you get the codes read instead of making assumptions most car part stores do it free. it could be something as simple as a vacuum leak.

Last edited by itburnswhenIP; 03-19-2014 at 10:45 PM.
Old 03-20-2014, 11:40 AM

Ok, so I went to autozone and got a code read. He told me it was something with the engine coolant temperature sensor, and common symptoms of a bad ECT sensor are not being able to start the car (which I've experienced), and a rough idle.

Also, on the way to autozone, my check engine light disappeared, so I'm a bit confused. What's the next step? He suggested I get a replaced ECT sensor, which I will probably do soon.

Old 03-20-2014, 04:30 PM
HCF Member
Old 03-20-2014, 10:22 PM
HCF Member
Talking Great You-Tube Video Find..

Originally Posted by itburnswhenIP

One of my friends had the same problem , so I sent him the link on your video you posted and ..hooray..It worked on his Civic also..Great Find..

GeeIWon

Attached Images  
Old 03-21-2014, 12:36 PM

That is actually the exact video I used to replace mine haha. Thank you!

Although, a new problem has arose.. I went a bit too tight, and ummm.. the plastic part of the sensor snapped off. There's still a connection but I don't want to risk anything, so I'm probably gonna buy another one.

Problem is, getting the current one out...

Old 03-25-2014, 03:50 AM
HCF Member

you need a 17mm deep socket like shown in the video. if your not familiar with cars i would suggests you buy a manual and a torque wrench possibly a basic socket set.