Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

New Everything still no Spark/no start

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2014, 08:38 AM
Default New Everything still no Spark/no start

I have a 1998 honda civic LX Im a tow guy and got this car for free. lady said it just shut off going down the highway. I started out checking all the receipts she had for maintenance. last month she replaced the dizzy and clutch switch. Gathered knowledge I learned the first step was to check timing it was replaced back in January, it is still brand new looking. next step i made sure the rotor turn when cranked it does. I also gathered that Coils and ICM's go bad often so i replaced them while i was there went ahead replaced rotor and cap and threw n some new spark plugs. still nothing so by now i figured i had it narrowed down to a crank shaft position sensor, ignition switch or ECM. I replaced CKP sensor and the ignition switch still have no spark. So i assumed it was the ECM i pulled it out open up he cover to see f there was any shorts and found nothing. There was some corrosion but none on the board. I have 12v at the coil but seems to me no ground to create spark which correct me if im wrong the ECM send the ground pulse to make spark ? Im new to hondas but not cars im completely stumped someone plz have a easy fix.

So to sum it up New Dizzy,CKP Sensor, clutch Switch, Ignition switch, ICM, COIL, Rotor and Cap.

Old 10-17-2014, 11:31 AM
Recognized HCF Member

Do you have 12v (more or less) to the distributor while cranking? It can be there with the key on but go away when you turn it to start.

The check engine light should come on for 2 seconds and go out when you turn the key on but don't crank. If it never comes on or comes on but doesn't go out there is a basic problem with the ECU (what Honda calls the engine computer) powering up and running. During the 2 seconds the fuel pump relay will click on and run the fuel pump, then turn off. If you have no light but the fuel pump primes, it is possible that the CEL bulb is just burnt out or removed.

Check the ECU ground wires on the thermostat housing.

The ECU reads the sensors in the distributor and returns a properly-timed low-level pulse to the ICM. On these models the CKP sensor is only used to detect if the timing belt has skipped, all critical timing comes from the distributor and the engine can run without a CKP. The ICM amplifies the pulse from the ECU to pulse a ground to the coil and fire a spark. The ground is only momentary and hard to impossible to detect on an ordinary voltmeter.

Do not let the coil fire into an open circuit with the cap off while testing. They are prone to blow out. Always have a grounded test wire near the spring for any spark to jump to.

Last edited by mk378; 10-17-2014 at 11:43 AM.