Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

new member - engine vibration

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2015, 06:37 PM
Default new member - engine vibration

This is my mother's car. I'm relatively new to Hondas, but have replaced her plugs twice (in 62,000 miles). 2002 Civc EX (I think), 2 door.

Just a while ago I wanted to check the tranny fluid. It looks like some has bubbled over, as there's a stain around the hole. The fluid itself looks a little brown, though I need to check it again in the daytime. I heard someone say you never change the fluid in a "Honda slushbox", but I'm aghast at the suggestion that tranny fluid doesn't need to be changed.

Anyway, I put my hand on the plastic coil pack cover, and notice considerable vibration. This doesn't seem normal. Could 1 or more coil pack need replacing (70-80$ a piece right? Ouch). Or could it be something else? The engine is rocking back and forth, it just ain't smooth. Noticeable, significant vibration in my opinion. And you notice this while driving (I think she first mentioned it a while ago, maybe 1 or 2 years ago). I want that puppy to run smooth if at all possible. Was described by her as a "grinding". Vibration in any event.

Thanks for your help. The new plugs were NGK's I bought at Advance (3.39$ apiece). The electrodes were so skinny! The last set (don't egg me) were platinum Autolites. I was told by my brother those were for FORDS, he's only ever seen crush rings on Ford plugs. But the NGK's also had crush rings . . .

Thanks for your help in advance.

Old 02-28-2015, 10:40 AM
HCF Member

of course you change the transmission fluid unless you want it to fail thats the dumbest thing i have ever heard who the hell told you that and never except mechanical advice from them again. the one thing you don't do is have the transmission machine pressure flushed you simply drain and fill like the oil but repeatedly 3 or 4 times. as far as the engine shake im willing to bet most of your engine mounts are either torn or completely destroyed. there just basic rubber and breakdown fairly quick. yes you only use NGK or DENSO spark plugs in honda's also when was the last time the valve's were adjusted ??? also the transmission dipstick on these cars were replaced with a different model because they become loose and let oil out and debris in i suggests carefully cleaning any debris around the dipstick opening away from the hole don't let any sand get in. you can order the new model here Majestic Honda - The Internet's #1 Honda Automotive Parts Store

Last edited by itburnswhenIP; 02-28-2015 at 10:56 AM.
Old 02-28-2015, 10:58 AM
HCF Member

i also suggest you pick up a manual all this info is in there.