Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!
View Poll Results: How badly does Rack and Pinions suck?
The usual.
0%
Absolutely.
0%
A lot......
0%
Whoredom.
100.00%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 1. You may not vote on this poll

New Rack and Pinion leaking 98 LX

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2015, 06:49 AM
Default New Rack and Pinion leaking 98 LX

I replaced the Rack and Pinion 2 months ago because it was leaking even with Lucas Stop Leak. Since the reservoir has emptied 3 times and I just put regular fluid in. I got under it and found that it was leaking from both boots though we were careful not to twist/damage them while installing. I could not find any holes in the boots and checking all hoses are connected I am pretty sure it is the seals in the rack itself. After reading from another car repair site that you should flush the fluid when you replace because of contaminant could break down the seals again, but I don't think that some bad fluid could really kill the seals in less than 3 weeks of install? I also read that we should have removed the air from the system but we didn't do that.

I have a lifetime warranty on the rack but I really don't want to try to flush the system, put a new one on just to have the seals broken again.

I thought that the pump could be over pressurizing the pinion but I also checked the part number on the pump and it is the correct pump, it is the original pump. Car has 155K on it. Any ideas?

Old 08-20-2015, 06:54 AM

I bought the car in January and while looking over the steering system, I am pretty sure the last owner has used Lucas Stop Leak before. My latest thought is that maybe Lucas has ****ed up the system? Like it has gummed up somewhere?