Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

niose coming from rolling

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2013, 11:19 AM
Default niose coming from rolling

hey guys. i just picked up a 1999 civic lx manual with 118k miles on it.

im getting a noise coming from the car wen the car is moving. i first thought it was wheel alignment and balancing issues and i went ahead and bought two new front tires cuz the ones in the back were good and got them balance and the car aligned. the noise still continues.

i just did the front brake disc and pads also

and i did the axles as well.

the noise is still there. it doesn't vibrate or handle poorly so im unsure what it could be.

i was reading that it could be the wheel hub bearing or steering rack.

i checked the steering rack and the boots are most defenetly ripped and worn but with my past experience fixing cars i just have a doubt feeling that the noise im hearing is coming from that issue. (nether the less ill be changing it some time soon)

i will record the noise that i hear and post it on here but i just wanted some tips on what to focus on, its driving me nutz.

i took a look at the tie rod ends as well and they seem ok to me i would assume that if it was it the car would vibrate quick a bit at high speeds and like i said it doesn't vibrate at all but i can feel some type of thump or something minor as to vibrations but the noise is Wats really obvious.

Last edited by ErSlickvic; 08-14-2013 at 02:56 PM.
Old 08-14-2013, 11:32 AM

i took a look at the tie rod ends as well and they seem ok to me i would assume that if it was it the car would vibrate quick a bit at high speeds and like i said it doesn't vibrate at all but i can feel some type of thump or something minor as to vibrations but the noise is Wats really obvious.

Old 08-14-2013, 12:56 PM

You haven't really described the noise, just told us what you have replaced.

So this noise is present when going how fast? Does the noise change if you drop the car in neutral and you coast? When you turn left or right when the noise is present, does it change at all? To me, it sounds like a wheel bearing issue, only because it looks like you have replaced most everything else already.

Old 08-14-2013, 02:55 PM

So this noise is present when going how fast?

the noise can be herd going 5 mph all the way up to 100mph

Does the noise change if you drop the car in neutral and you coast?

no, the noise does not go away when the car is put into neutral, the sound stays the same as well. i dont assume and engine issue.

When you turn left or right when the noise is present, does it change at all?

from my ability to hear the noise correctly it seems to get louder when i turn to the right.

could this issue be coming from the differential or the tranny?

video coming in 5 mins

Last edited by ErSlickvic; 08-14-2013 at 06:12 PM.
Old 08-14-2013, 03:03 PM

here is the link to the vid recorded. car has an exhaust leak or prob a bad muff but you should be able to hear what i am describing. thanks in advance!

the car is 100% stock.

Old 08-14-2013, 03:55 PM

sounds like a bad wheel bearing.

Do you have a garage or driveway that you can jack the car up? If so, do that and put your hands on the 12 and 6 position of the wheel and try to see if there is play. The wheel should not move at all. Shaking the wheel at 3 and 9 will let you check for play in the tie rods. Pay attention to any movement or noises. It may not look like much, but any movement can cause noise when spinning at 60 mph

Last edited by cvcrcr99; 08-14-2013 at 03:58 PM.
Old 08-14-2013, 06:09 PM

Originally Posted by cvcrcr99
sounds like a bad wheel bearing.

Do you have a garage or driveway that you can jack the car up? If so, do that and put your hands on the 12 and 6 position of the wheel and try to see if there is play. The wheel should not move at all. Shaking the wheel at 3 and 9 will let you check for play in the tie rods. Pay attention to any movement or noises. It may not look like much, but any movement can cause noise when spinning at 60 mph
i did check the wheel for play and i honestly cant seem to feel any play in the wheel. and keep just remember the noise is present even at 5 mph

could this be a differential or tranny issue?

if you guys can keep the advice coming i would gladly appreciate it.

Old 08-15-2013, 06:10 AM
Recognized HCF Member

Like cvcrcr said, it's almost certainly a wheel bearing. Specifically the left one, since when you turn right, the car leans to the left, putting more force on that side. Can you hear the noise if you jack up a wheel and turn it by hand? Any bearing noise at all in that test will get a lot worse with the weight of the car on it.

Old 08-17-2013, 09:44 PM

Def. i think im gona start looking at wheel bearings. i havent done search yet but is it possible and cheaper to get the whole front two hubs so i can do it myself? its prob much easier to replace the hub then to pay labor fees to install and press in wheel bearings.

let me kno guys. thanks

Old 08-18-2013, 06:04 AM

The fronts on these cars cannot be replaced with a simple hub swap. It would need to pressed in. I have seen many people do it themselves, but I don't recommend it.

The rears are like what you are describing though, just unbolt the old one and slide the new one on.

Quick Reply: niose coming from rolling