Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

NO SPARK + NO FUEL 95' civic ex

Old 10-23-2006, 02:57 PM
Default NO SPARK + NO FUEL 95' civic ex

gsr head, B20 bottom, t3t4 turbo, 450cc DSM injectors (resistor box wired in correctly)

injectors are ALL getting POWER and GROUND...

PROBLEM(s)

** no spark...
i took the distributor apart and checked coil and ignition moduel... both are in great condition (appearence wise, i dont know how to check w/ a volt meter)...pulled spark plug out and grounded, turned key...no spark...even used inline ignition tester...nothing

*** no injector spray...
all injectors are getting solid power (11.45) and ground... fuel IS getting to fuel rail... fuel pump primes and sends fuel...pressure unknown (?)... BUT not reading any voltage to fuel pump (yellow/green wire) voltage = 0

**** ecu:
opened ecu, nothing fried... no bad or different smell... when key in car is turned, GREEN LIGHT in USB port comes ON (HONDATA s300) if there was a short in wires or ecu was toast HONDATA s300's"Automatically" throws a RED LIGHT showing there is a issue with the car's wiring (it did it when my main relay fried my wire harness underdash 8 months ago)

Q:
what else could prevent the car from giving spark... did not test coil or ignition moduel w/ volt meter.(dont know how to)

Q:
if injectors have solid power and ground AND fuel pump is working (but not showing voltage)... what is preventing fuel spray.(and why is the hot wire /yellow/green/ not showing voltage but pump still primes and sends fuel)

more details from day 1:

***the day the car died the motor GRADUALLY lost powerover about a total of 10 miles, died about 2 times at stop lights, had to keep pushing gas and turning the key to get it moving again...when it would start after the dead stop, no matter how much i pushed on the gas the motor would stay at a very low idol as if i wasnt pushing the gas at all then would catch and start accepting fuel and i would be able to give the motor gas... while trying to get home over about 8 miles of freeway driving, i was unable to climb into high RPM's even @ FULL THROTTLE to keep with normal freeway speeds... i would have to downshift into 4th or 3rd to gain speed until the motor just died from fuel loss and ending up along the side of the road.*** since that day the car will turn over BUT will NOT start... NO FUEL + NO SPARK...

Old 10-23-2006, 04:06 PM
Default RE: NO SPARK + NO FUEL 95' civic ex

i would try checking the ecu fuse or try switching the ecu i had the same problem out of my 240sx i had and it was the ecu

Old 10-23-2006, 04:08 PM

i will try that (ecu change out)... its NOT the ecu fuse though.. ALL fuses in the car check out A-OK...

Old 10-23-2006, 05:34 PM

i dont know anyone in this area and i have no immediate access to another ecu... any ideas what else i migyht be able to check WITHOUT changing out the ecu immediately?

Old 10-23-2006, 07:09 PM
HCF Member

Is the ignition module sending a signal to the coil to turn on and off? Note: you might need a scope to check this. If the PCM isn't sending the injectors a signal to fire and also isn't sending the coil a signal to turn on and off, then there is soemthing wrong with the PCM. I'm not sure if this is correct but i think the main relay is wired into the injector and ignition circuit so i would check that as well.

Old 10-25-2006, 01:50 PM

the main relay is allowing the fuel pump to prime and i can hear it click... pluse fuel is making it to the fuel rail.... i think that should be ok... i will be changing out the coil today and if need be, the ignition moduel... what is a PCM? and how do i check it?

Old 10-25-2006, 02:08 PM
HCF Member

The PCM is the engine's computer. It sets injector pulse width, ignition timing, etc. If you have fuel pressure at the fuel rail, how do you know that the injectors are not firing? If you have fuel pressure at the fuel rail i would go on to testing the ignition b/c the likely hood that there is a problem with all four fuel injectors is probably low unless you know that the injectors are not opening and spraying fuel. If that is the case, there is most likely a problem with the PCM since the PCM sends the injectors the signal to open and close. Chances that all four fuel injectors have a problem (4 bad fuel injectors or wiring problem to all 4 injectors) are also low.

Old 10-25-2006, 03:07 PM

O... im used to hearing ECU... PCM was a new one... i know that the injectors are not firing cause i pulled the fuel rail off and turned the motor over... NO SPRAY... thx for all ur help so far agent... its much needed!

Old 10-25-2006, 05:59 PM
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: boostnub

O... im used to hearing ECU... PCM was a new one... i know that the injectors are not firing cause i pulled the fuel rail off and turned the motor over... NO SPRAY... thx for all ur help so far agent... its much needed!
PCM is actually the term that is used in the service manual as well as OBDII descriptions so that is what i usually use. I didn't read your first post today when i made my post. The injectors aren't getting a signal to fire it seems. The coil isn't getting a signal to turn on and off (this i am assuming). Both of these signals are sent by the PCM. Everything in this situation seems to point to a bad PCM. Check the ground on the PCM. If the PCM was improperly installed and the ground was not installed correctly, the PCM can't work. Also check the wiring to the PCM, specifically the power.