Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

No start?? HELP PLEASE!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2012, 06:06 AM
Default No start?? HELP PLEASE!!

Hello everyone, I was a member here few years back but cannot find my login info so I created a new account. I was out of the scene for a couple years unfortunately I tried the mustang thing . Well needless to say I am back into a honda. This time with a 2000 em1 CLEAN and pretty much stock that I picked up over the weekend.

I will try to shorten this as much as possible. When I arrived to buy the car the guy had it running which was a red flag but like I said the car was CLEAN and drove out good so I purchased it for a fair price not the best in the world but not to bad either. After I got home I let it sit for around 6 hours, got in it and fired it up and it would sputter and die did that a couple times and then began to run fine, I held it at about 3k rpm for a couple seconds and let off. It began to jump from about 1300 rmp to 2100 rpm on its own (map sensor??) that what I initially thought. All the while the car has had a tap tap tap under the valve cover not bad enough to make me not buy it of coarse or bad at all really but it was there.

I removed the plug wire cover from the valve cover and the plug wire on the #1 cylindar was jumping around a little and also was not pressed and seated as good as the other 3 so I press down on the top of the plug wire on top of the plug and the taping stops so...("death tap") right?? AKA loose plug?? well I drive it home and pull the plug....
Plug was tight but the ceramic piece of the plug had seperated itself from the metal at the base where the socket grabs the plug at. I get in my truck and go fetch a good new plug and come home. I jump in to start her up (on 3 cylindars) no plug no wire on #1 and it spits and sputters for a second and dies on its own.... I put in the new plug and put the wire back on and now it wont run at all just spin over and over and never crank up???? HELP!!!! Fried coil???Ignitor??Both?? I need some advice!! Remember this is a 2000 civic si EM1 b16a2....Thanks in advance for any help!

Old 07-03-2012, 10:17 AM
Recognized HCF Member

Running with a plug wire disconnected is prone to blow the coil. Take the cap off and try to draw sparks from the coil output to a grounded test wire. If you only get weak yellow sparks, replace coil.