Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Noises/hesitation in recently purchase 2003 Civic

Old 08-02-2013, 10:08 AM
Default Noises/hesitation in recently purchase 2003 Civic

Hi everyone, I just joined and introduced myself in the New Members area. I am not mechanical but am having some problems with a recently purchased 2003 Honda Civic EX coupe, Automatic transmission, 131,000 miles. The car test drove just fine and I took it to my mechanic for an inspection before purchasing it and I have searched other threads but can't find my exact problem. A few days into owning the car, I noticed an intermittent screeching sound when taking off from an intersection or parking lot - never happened when stopping or driving down the road. Also, at times when taking off, the car will hesitate but then lurch forward and run normally. Again, this is intermittent and happens sometimes when I take off, but not every time.

I took it back to my mechanic and he said all the belts looked fine and seemed tight enough. He said to try to determine if it happens with the AC on and I've found that it does. I took it to another mechanic for a second opinion. He test drove it and of course couldn't get it to make the noise, but he did tighten the power steering belt a bit and said to try that. Two days later, the noise and the occasional hesitation started up again and seemed to happen more frequently and it was with the AC running. I took it back to my regular mechanic and they rode with me with the AC on, stopping at intersections. Of course it didn't do it! Very frustrating! They did recheck the belts and all the pulleys and couldn't find anything. Yet another person in the shop drove it and couldn't hear the noise or experience the hesitation.

I like the car in other ways, but this is very frustrating and I just bought it. Any ideas on what it could be or do I just have to let it get really bad before they can find it? Thanks.

Old 08-08-2013, 04:36 AM

So doesn't ANYONE have ANY idea what this could be?