Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Oh no! Check engine light, and wierd things..

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2006, 09:28 PM
Default Oh no! Check engine light, and wierd things..

Great.......I finished painting my Valve Cover, and put it back on...half an hour or so later my dad tells me to run to the store to get some TUMS for him.
All great sofar....no problems at all, but on the way back from the Gas station the Check Engine light came on....sooo..I parked it, and turned the engine off. I popped the hood and turned the engine back on. I revved it a bit to see if I could hear any strange noises, but it sounded fine to me. One thing that REALLY bothered me was that the MPH gauge was jumping up and down randomly. It would sometimes jump up to 20MPH while the motor was idle. Any ideas anyone? This is really getting me worried..

Old 05-16-2006, 09:35 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: Oh no! Check engine light, and wierd things..

I would say that there is a sensor that is disconnected. Head down to the local autozone and have them pull the code for the check engine light. Post the code and some1 will be able to help.

Old 05-16-2006, 10:45 PM

Ill do that. Luckily their close . Im still nervous about driving it like that.

Old 05-16-2006, 11:12 PM
HCF Member

or not enough pressure?

Old 05-16-2006, 11:54 PM
Recognized HCF Member

if you didnt have enough pressure wouldnt the oil light come on because you are basicly out of oil at that point

Old 05-17-2006, 11:41 PM

Well.....I went to autozone and they ran a check. Turns out not only is my Speed sensor out, but BOTH my O2 sensors are out aswell. WTF is up with that?

Old 05-17-2006, 11:52 PM

Any possibility that your bumped the harness or maybe stressed the connections?

Old 05-18-2006, 12:07 AM

Im not sure if I did or not. Only lines I really touched are the Spark Plug wires, and the tube that goes from my coldair to my Valve Cover. Anyone know the location of these sensors? Pics would be helpful. Ill try and look in my booklet.

Also, if im not mistaken O2 sensors cost about $150 each.

Old 05-18-2006, 06:32 PM
HCF Member

What is the code? The guys at autozone are quick to tell you that your O2 sensor is bad. There was a car today at my school and the O2 sensor was changed and the car still has a check engine light. We pulled the code and it turned out that O2 sensor wasn't heating up correctly so we went about fixing it. The morale of the story is get the CODE and don't take the word of teh guy at the Zone. He may or may not know what he is talking about, but if he categorically told you that your O2 is bad just by the Check Engine light he prolly doesn't know what he is talking about since there is no Check Engine code that says "Change _______ part". The day that comes out mechanics will be out of buisness.

Old 05-18-2006, 09:50 PM

Ok well the one's I got infront of me are
P0141, P0135, P1298, and I think there's another one, but I can't find the reciept.

Quick Reply: Oh no! Check engine light, and wierd things..