Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Oil Lamp coming on when car is cold

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2014, 12:33 AM
Question Oil Lamp coming on when car is cold

Hi everyone, I have an issue with my Honda Civic. It’s a 2008 Civic, 2.2 TDI. I recently bought second hand from the Honda Showroom so its new to me (only had it for a week). Whenever I park the car outdoors overnight, the oil lamp lights up in the morning once or twice for the first 5 minutes of driving time then it doesn’t come on again. Whenever it is parked in a garage I never have this issue. I came to the conclusion that it does it until the oil warms up. Are my assumptions correct? I had the oil checked last week and it was just below minimum so I had it topped up since and the Honda mechanics checked the oil pump and there are no leaks. They were quite confused by it and had the car reset. Any thoughts on why the oil lamp lights up on cold mornings? Is this common? Thanks to all

Old 04-15-2014, 07:24 PM
Recognized HCF Member

You may want to change the oil and filter to be sure that the correct viscosity of oil is in the engine, and that the filter is not clogged. Did the dealer do that just before you bought the car?

Generally when the engine is worn, oil pressure is more prone to drop too low when it is hot, because the oil gets thinner. So this is kind of an odd problem. Sometimes (very rarely) the switch for the warning light is bad or there is a short in the wiring, causing false alarms.