Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

oil leak & CV boot?

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2010, 04:01 PM
HCF Member
Default oil leak & CV boot?

I have a 1997 civic ex and was underneath it the other day and noticed I have an oil leak cause theres oil all over the oil pan but not sure where its coming from cause there was also oil up top aswell but didnt look like it was coming from the valve cover gasket. From what I could see up top looks like it might be coming from somewhere under the distributor. Also noticed the passenger side cv boot is torn/leaking I am kinda new to working on cars so not sure what all I need to replace and if I need any special tools. Any advice is appreciated.

Old 03-10-2010, 04:05 PM

check the distributor o-ring and your VTEC solenoid gasket for leakage.

Usually when the CV boot tears most people just replace the whole axle. Auto zone sells remanufactured axles for around $60 a pop after you get the core refund and they have a lifetime warranty. It's much easier to just change the entire axle rather than take it apart to replace the boot, especially since the cheap axles work well and have the warranty to back it up

Old 03-11-2010, 05:30 AM
HCF Member

What Trust said. Also, you might want to clean the engine block too. It's a lot easier to tell where a leak is coming from that way.

Old 03-11-2010, 01:41 PM
HCF Member

Thanks guys yea I plan on cleaning the whole engine bay since its pretty dirty. Didnt think to check the distributor o-ring and vtec solenoid gasket for leakage thanks trust hopefully its that simple. And I think Im just gonna replace both axles while Im at it since thier so cheap its only a matter of time before the other side goes too.

Old 03-11-2010, 01:58 PM

While you're at it, replace the output shaft seals (axle seals). They usually get damaged when you use a big screwdriver to pry the axle out of the transmission. They're like $12 for both. Really easy to replace... just pry them out with a screwdriver and push back in with your hand... just make sure you pay attention to how deep they are in the hole when you take the original ones out and make it so the new ones fit exactly the same; also make sure they are not crooked. Make sure to lube up the inside ring with transmission fluid. You may want to pick up a bottle of Honda MTF as you will lose a little bit of transmission fluid (not a lot) when you have the axles out.

To fill up the transmission to the proper level, there is a fill bolt on the transmission. you take the bolt out, put a hose into it, run hose to a funnel, and fill it up until fluid starts coming out the fill bolt (make sure car is level while doing this).
You may even just want to drain/refill while you're at it, giving you new transmission fluid. You'll need 2 quarts of Honda MTF for this. 2 quarts from the dealer comes out to around $15. It's not a bad deal.

Here is a DIY on changing transmission fluid.

Here is a DIY on axle change.

Be careful separating the ball joint! Don't tear its dust boot, whatever you do! I did and had to get them replaced 1 month later.

Old 03-11-2010, 04:25 PM
HCF Member

Thanks again for all the info trust very helpful to this newbie. I plan on changing out the transmission fluid since I have no idea when it was done last (just bought the car in oct). And thats not a bad price for the honda MTF considering the oil I get for my bikes is almost that much for just 1 quart thought it would be allot more $$$. Hopefully gonna get started on all this soon.

Old 03-11-2010, 05:10 PM
Recognized HCF Member

One more note on the axle seals. The seals look the same, but they are actually slightly different between the two. Make sure to buy a left and a right one and install them on the proper side. They will have a small arrow on them showing the normal direction of shaft rotation (when the car is rolling forward).

Old 04-16-2010, 02:52 PM
HCF Member

Finally got around to getting my axles and everything I need to get this job done. This will be a first for me but I like the challenge and the feeling of accomplishment when this Is done. Hopefully I will have this done by the end of next week. I just hope that advanced auto gave me the right parts lol.

Oh and that oil leak was coming from the distributor got a new o-ring and fixed that a few weeks ago.

Old 04-23-2010, 11:21 AM
HCF Member

Well looks like I'm stuck I cant get the hub to seperate from the lower control arm. I got the axle nut off that was the easy part I just need pull the hub out of that knuckle I guess is what u call it so I have enough room to pull the axle out the the transmission. Now Ive tried just about every trick in the book but this thing will not budge. I tried using a pry bar and hammer and even heating it up a little bit with a propane torch but still wont budge. If anyone has any ideas please help this is really frustrating cuz Im so close to being able get the axle out. Thanks

Old 04-23-2010, 11:39 AM
Recognized HCF Member

They make a special tool for that. It works like a small gear puller-- the frame hooks onto the control arm and the screw presses on the end of the ball joint shaft.

Lacking that, take two big hammers; hold one still against one side of the control arm and hit the other side with the other hammer. It also helps to put a jack under the brake rotor and push up on it. Do not come close to actually raising the car, just push up some so the ball joint will pop up when it comes loose.

Quick Reply: oil leak & CV boot?