Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Oil Problem 2008 Civic!

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2012, 03:52 PM
Default Oil Problem 2008 Civic!

Had oil changed in 2008 Honda Civic yesterday. Wife drove car 50 miles and car would not accelerate and starting cutting out. She pulled over and checked the oil. None showed on dipstick. I drove over to car and checked oil....none on dipstick. Bought 4 qts. of oil, put in car and car started but had almost no power. Called garage that did oil change and he sent wrecker to pick car up when I told him there was no oil showing on dipstick. This morning he tells me it had too much oil so he drained and refilled it. But......it still had no power. Then he calls me and tells me it was air modulator, which he replaced and now it runs fine. Will go pick up tomorrow. If they indeed did fill it with oil on the original oil change, how can at least 2 qts. of oil disappear in 50 miles on the highway? Could the air modulator cause that? Please .....need some help?

Old 07-19-2012, 05:34 PM

When I put oil in no leaks were found.

Old 07-19-2012, 07:37 PM
HCF Member

If the oil pressure gets too low on the computer will put the car into limp mode, seriously reducing power, it may cause the car to shut off too but I'm not totally sure on 8th gens.

If the oil light was on it was seriously low. The dipstick can be dry and oil light not come on, this isn't as serious.

They may have filled the oil properly but something caused it to leak out. Either the filter was loose/defective(rare) or the pan bolt was loose. Neither should happen, when I worked at Valvoline for a summer our shop was strict about double checking everything and looking at the filter w/the car running. I only had 1 defective filter out of 1000 or so I used that summer, had the old filter gasket stay on the block about 10 times, this would cause a serious oil leak.

Did you look under the car to see if there was any oil dripping? It's probably too late now, I'm sure they cleaned it up, that would show they were at fault.

Also have no clue what an "air modulator" is. MAP sensor? idk.

Last edited by anibis; 07-19-2012 at 07:41 PM.
Old 07-19-2012, 07:45 PM
HCF Member

I dont see how damage could have been done if the oil light didn't come on.

Was the car level when the oil dipstick was checked?

Old 07-20-2012, 12:26 AM

I totally agree with it and I think that air modulator has caused the oil leakage. It is a serious issue and I think the action should be taken seriously. It's a new car and the oil problem seems to be risky. Go to the local dealer and checked it for once.

Old 07-21-2012, 07:05 PM

It was the Mass Air Flow Sensor causing the low power and failing to accelerate. What we have now is a "he said she said" on the oil. It appears to run fine with no ill effects. Could a faulty Mass Air Flow Sensor cause engine to suck up 2 qts of oil in 50 miles? It idles fine, accerlates great etc. and never at any time appeared to have any leaks.