Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Oil In Spark Plug Wells

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2014, 09:27 PM
HCF Member
Default Oil In Spark Plug Wells

When I did a tune-up today I noticed that my #3 plug had oil on the threads - I have been noticing a burnt oil smell over the past month, but assumed it was because I used 'generic' oil - The good news is that there is no water in the oil when I drained it, and there is no loss of power or gas mileage, so I am 99.9% sure it's not a blown head gasket - I am planning on replacing all the valve cover/well gaskets tomorrow, along with my PCV valve - My question is, if it turns out that the new gaskets and PCV valve do not solve the problem, what else could it be?

Old 02-03-2014, 04:38 PM
HCF Member

Anyone? :-/

Old 02-04-2014, 08:15 PM
Default oil in spark plug wells

could be the o-rings under the rocker arm assembly. other than that, not sure.

Old 02-12-2014, 10:16 AM

Spark plug tube seals.... most likely culprit especially if it's an accord.

Old 02-12-2014, 11:04 AM
HCF Member

Yea we had an accord and oil kept getting on the #3 plug and made the plug wire shoot off while driving. Replaced the tube seals (very easy) problem solved.

Old 02-12-2014, 11:45 AM
HCF Member

Mine is a Civic (D16Y7) - I don't have an issue with the plug wires popping off, but when I changed my plugs I noticed the oil on the threads, and the tips of the plugs were toasted - Once in a while I get a brief whiff of burnt oil, but no performance issues - I have noticed the past few months I have been losing oil, but couldn't locate any leaks, so this has to be the reason why - Now I just need one good day out to change everything over (No garage to work in o.O)

Old 02-12-2014, 02:58 PM
HCF Member

The plug tube seals are about the only possible reason to have oil on the outside of the spark plug. No other way to get it there unless you spilled oil when filling.

Old 02-12-2014, 05:44 PM
HCF Member

Originally Posted by TiggerDX
The plug tube seals are about the only possible reason to have oil on the outside of the spark plug. No other way to get it there unless you spilled oil when filling.
Spilled oil was the first thing I thought of, but was able to rule that out pretty quick, since I rarely ever spill when changing, and the burnt oil smell has been ongoing through three oil changes now (I do a complete change every month)