Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Overheating ??

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2009, 09:21 AM
HCF Member

thermostar is new and is working correctly. Car has been sitting for 4 days now waiting for a fuel return line. I took the fuel injectors out and cleaned them at the same time as the coolant flush because Im taking the car to reno and wanted a thorough tune and what not. I tried to use a piece of 1/4 fuel inj. hose but when I installed it, it kept pinching shut so I ordered a stock piece from Honda and the part still isnt here. Will let you know later today when its all buttoned up if everything is working correctly..

Old 07-29-2009, 09:26 AM
HCF Member
Default update

O.K. so after new switch was installed and not leaking any more I drove around for a few days and the car does not overheat anymore and fan is working correctly. How ever, CEL came back on with a p0301. I was having this problem a while back and the thread was titled p1399. Since all my ignition parts are new including dizzy, I went to Identifix.com for a confirmed fix for that code, and they were ign or head gasket. I had it tested at the rad. shop today with a sniffer and at first it read 13 HCs PPM for a few sec, then nothing. He had me shut it off for a min, then start it up with the cap off and fully warmed up to temp. Coolant rose up about 1 inch out of the cap while it turned over, but settled while it ran, {immediately} He said my head gasket was sealing up as the motor got hot.

Old 07-29-2009, 09:40 AM
Recognized HCF Member

I went to Identifix.com for a confirmed fix for that code, and they were ign or head gasket.
What is this and what did they do to make the diagnosis?

What model and engine do you have?

The code indicates a misfire in cylinder 1. Do you have spark at cyl 1? Is the cyl 1 fuel injector clicking? Have the cylinders been compression tested?

Is there white smoke in the exhaust? Are you still losing/leaking any coolant?

Last edited by RonJ; 07-29-2009 at 09:43 AM.
Old 07-29-2009, 12:45 PM
Chubby Chaser

Originally Posted by RonJ
What is this and what did they do to make the diagnosis?

What model and engine do you have?

The code indicates a misfire in cylinder 1. Do you have spark at cyl 1? Is the cyl 1 fuel injector clicking? Have the cylinders been compression tested?

Is there white smoke in the exhaust? Are you still losing/leaking any coolant?
exactly what he said is what i was gonna say.

is your oil gray milky color?
do you have white smoke coming out exhaust(steam)?
get a compression check done.
if you have anti freeze in your coolant smell your exhaust and see if it smells like coolant(keep in mind that it is carbonmonxide coming out exhaust to dont keep inhaling.)

Old 07-29-2009, 05:20 PM
HCF Member
Default update

Its a web site for shop owners to post kind of like this. I guess odd problems, rare or most common ? My buddy owns a smog and diagnostic shop, he told me hed check for that code cuz he'd never heard of it, the techs that posted on there for that specific code had found that head gaskets or ignition related problems had been the reason. It was his idea so I gave it a shot as to not buy any more parts I dont need. As for the other stuff, its a 98 civic b16y7 plain jane motor, I park on gravel and havent noticed any external leaking but it does get a little low once in a while, oil looks great on the dip stick and dont see much in the valve cover area. Car runs just fine, except I do notice when in the morning I first start it up for about 10 seconds it idles a lil shaky, but not much. It is cold enough in the morning to where everyones car has white smoke but its just moisture in the tail pipe from condensation overnight, I will check this evening after it is cold again and try to take a pic.

Old 07-29-2009, 05:22 PM
HCF Member

Hve not done a comp. check yet because I loadned my gauge out and it never came home, I will do that tomorrow, and for my [buddy] no free diag, so I do all myself.

Old 07-29-2009, 05:26 PM
HCF Member

I cleared the code yesterday and today Im getting a P0301 cylinder #1 misfire, Im going to pull the plug right now and take a pic. I dont know how to post it on here so it might be a few min...

Old 07-29-2009, 05:49 PM
HCF Member

Ok I took a pic of my plugs but the pic is 190 kb and this site says 97 is the most ??

Old 07-29-2009, 06:01 PM
Recognized HCF Member

Upload the picture to Photobucket. Did you check for spark at plug #1? How does its appearance compare with the other plugs?

Old 07-29-2009, 06:03 PM
HCF Member

Its sooty, the others are clean, How do you do photobucket? Is that a web site ?

Quick Reply: Overheating ??