Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Overheating

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2012, 08:01 AM
Default Overheating

I have a 1999 honda civic ex and i've put 20,000 miles on it to reach 209,000. Recently in my 2 hour commute to work it started to overheat. In three weeks ive replaced the radiator fan, two thermostats, and the radiatior itself. I had to stop six times on my way to refill coolant... I believe its pushing it out of the overflow? would this be a head gasket? also shuts of at idle once its warm but not hot?

Old 05-29-2012, 08:17 AM

What about the radiator cap? Was that replaced recently? That could be a reason for the water to push into the overflow.

Old 05-29-2012, 08:45 AM

yes brand new cap...is it possible that both new therostats were bad? doesnt overheat at idle or until after 2 hours of interstate driving.. where is the bleed screw for antifreeze? I ask because im getting air when im topping off and I run the car with heat on while I refill

Old 05-29-2012, 08:48 AM

also radiator smokes while idle but does not overheat until two hours of actual driving, then consistantly overheats. No smoke or water from exaust either. Im lost, at this point almost has to be the head or gasket right?

Old 05-29-2012, 08:57 AM
Recognized HCF Member

Get radiator completely full. The 1999 does not have a bleed bolt, you should park facing uphill and leave the cap off with the engine running to let air out (pour in more coolant as needed to keep it full).

Then let the engine get cold. Take the radiator cap off and start the engine and rev it. If bubbles constantly come out, the head gasket is leaking.

Old 05-29-2012, 09:15 AM

thanks alot, I will try that and let ya know...if it is the head gasket will some type of stop leak work? how hard is it to replace the gasket, is it possible to do it myself? will i need special tools?

Old 05-29-2012, 10:02 AM

Do NOT use stop leak.

It is great at clogging little holes in the radiator, but also the small little passage ways in your coolant system. Not worth the risk IMO.

Old 05-29-2012, 11:14 AM

So junk it cause its not worth putting a head gasket in? what do I have to lose with stop leak?

Old 05-29-2012, 11:54 AM

Why does everyone think to junk it when a HG is bad. Just replace the HG and get the head checked for levelness.

Putting in stop leak..... as I have said.... does a good job at clogging up small passways in the coolant system..... not just the engine.... the radiator, heater core... you know... the coolant system.

Old 05-29-2012, 12:38 PM
HCF Member

Originally Posted by cvcrcr99
Why does everyone think to junk it when a HG is bad. Just replace the HG and get the head checked for levelness.

Putting in stop leak..... as I have said.... does a good job at clogging up small passways in the coolant system..... not just the engine.... the radiator, heater core... you know... the coolant system.
this, head gasket is not that hard of a job. If you did not drive it around hot it is unlikely the head has been warped. but if it is mildly warped you could even get a head gasket that can slightly conform to a slight warp if you need to save money from milling. Not the best option but affordable

Quick Reply: Overheating